Cupiennius Salei sling feeding

Hi all
I have been sent a Cupiennius salei microscopic sling freebie with my last tarantula order.I am new world tarantula keeper and this came as total surprise to me.
It is super tyni(see pics below for reference), scatty and bolty.I have 2nd moult crickets and springtails as pray in case it dont want to scavenge feed.It is housed in 25ml vial atm.
I was wandering if anyone can give me any tips how to contain the little bugger during feeding time and maintenance as is so small I can barely focus on it and is basically teleporting around the enclosure if any disturbance.
20200710_141020.jpg Screenshot_20200710-154649_Video Player.jpg
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
The first thing I do with sling pots is plant them in substrate in a larger tub. That way there's no accidental knock overs. I got a few tiny slings on Friday one of which is this Hogna schmitzi and the sling pot is planted.

With feeding you'll have to be careful and make sure the spider actually catches the cricket as it would be easy for one to hide in the cork bark. Obviously it's easier for me as the wolf spider is terrestrial.

4B5AE9E8-2F40-405E-876E-0FCB16261A25.jpeg

The first thing I do with sling pots is plant them in substrate in a larger tub. That way there's no accidental knock overs. I got a few tiny slings on Friday one of which is this Hogna schmitzi and the sling pot is planted.

With feeding you'll have to be careful and make sure the spider actually catches the cricket as it would be easy for one to hide in the cork bark. Obviously it's easier for me as the wolf spider is terrestrial.

View attachment 352326
Thanks for the tips.
I was thinking to offer a pre killed cricket as first meal.(will try to root a live small one if any in tub but doubt will find any suitable as no hatchlings available nearby).
I have zero experience with true spiders and Im not aware if they will scavenge.The little bugger seems more settled today and is resting in the dark side of the cork.Read an article that this is their natural behaviour during the day being nocturnal species .Don think it will struggle finding the pray as I read they are active and very good hunters.Its just to find out if they will tackle larger pray than them as its only 1st instar hatchling atm
I will take great care when opening the enclosure and will do it in bigger tub with few bits of paper towel to take refuge in case it escapes as information is they run and hide and stay still there.
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thanks fkr the tips.
I was thinking to offer a pre killed cricket as first meal.(will try to root a live small one if any in tub but doubt will find any suitable as no hatchlings available nearby).
I have zero experience with true spiders and Im not aware if they will scavenge.The little bugger seems more settled today and is resting in the dark side of the cork.Read an article that this is their natural behaviour during the day being nocturnal species .Don think it will struggle finding the pray as I read they are active and very good hunters.Its just to find out if they will tackle larger pray than them as its only 1st instar hatchling atm
I will take great care when opening the enclosure and will do it in bigger tub with few bits of paper towel to take refuge in case it escapes as information is they run and hide and stay still there.
Regards Konstantin
They absolutely scavenge. If you placed a prekilled cricket somewhere the spider walks over the cricket will be eaten.

You can see how small the Hogna schmitzi is in the pic a posted. The floor of the sling pot is HUGE in comparison. Hatchling crickets are taken no problem.

They absolutely scavenge. If you placed a prekilled cricket somewhere the spider walks over the cricket will be eaten.

You can see how small the Hogna schmitzi is in the pic a posted. The floor of the sling pot is HUGE in comparison. Hatchling crickets are taken no problem.
Hi
the little one has settled in a little.Its retreating behind its cork bark instead of bolting around.Im not letting my guard down as I have seen it how fast it has been.
Gave it a go today with the feeding and was total success.I put a cricket with crushed head about 3-4 times bigger than the spiders body(one of the smallest I have) and the little bugger tackled it in the air before it even hit the bottom of the vial and sunk its fangs in it.Then it pulled it on the cork bark. One of the best take downs I had.
20200714_144240.jpg
PS Vial is stacked in cricket tubs with rest of my sling pots to prevent knocking it over just pulled it out for the pic.Thanks for the tips once again.
Regards Konstantin

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hi
the little one has settled in a little.Its retreating behind its cork bark instead of bolting around.Im not letting my guard down as I have seen it how fast it has been.
Gave it a go today with the feeding and was total success.I put a cricket with crushed head about 3-4 times bigger than the spiders body(one of the smallest I have) and the little bugger tackled it in the air before it even hit the bottom of the vial and sunk its fangs in it.Then it pulled it on the cork bark. One of the best take downs I had.
View attachment 352510
PS Vial is stacked in cricket tubs with rest of my sling pots to prevent knocking it over just pulled it out for the pic.Thanks for the tips once again.
Regards Konstantin
Get in!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get in!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi
I have one final question for you if you dont mind.
With tarantula slings I pull remains out in 24h but they are not latched on them.
How long can I leave the pray item in if the spider is chewing on it non stop.
I did manage to get it out after 24h but thats cause it took a leg off and the rest fall on bottom of the vial.I imagine it will be eating pray that big for a week or longer.lol
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hi
I have one final question for you if you dont mind.
With tarantula slings I pull remains out in 24h but they are not latched on them.
How long can I leave the pray item in if the spider is shewing on it non stop.
I did manage to get it out after 24h but thats cause it took a leg off and the rest fall on bottom of the vial.I imagine it will be eating pray that big for a week or longer.lol
Regards Konstantin
Just let them feed for as long as they want. Then feed them again as and when.

Hi all
A bit of update.
The little bugger is going strong and eating like little pig every 4 days.Also Im quite surprised how often they moult.Its moulted 2 times already and is 4 times bigger from when I got it .Last interval being 12 days between moults.
Regards Konstantin

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hi all
A bit of update.
The little bugger is going strong and eating like little pig every 4 days.Also Im quite surprised how often they moult.Its moulted 2 times already and is 4 times bigger from when I got it .Last interval being 12 days between moults.
Regards Konstantin
Well done.