"Cuddly" P. Imperator

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Found this guy at a reptile show, cost only $5....probably because he was missing a piece of his claw. For the first time I have a emperor scorpion that actually lets me hold him.

Anyway, I was playing around with a new digital camera, so I thought I would take a picture of "Vader" and post it for all to see.

Laura

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
nice :) is it missing the movable part of the pincer on it's right side? Doesn't appear to have one in the bottom picture.

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes he is...thats why they marked the price down on him.

Laura

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes he is missing the moveable part of the claw. This is the one I posted about before that Laura's toddler got into his aquarium and dug around. I had heard that some Emperors are handable, but never believed it before we got him. He is very reluctant to sting and when he has once, there was hardly any pain at all so I guess he must not of used any venom. No we don't handle him much though, because of course they don't like it. I got him to crawl onto my hand and my husband photographed him sitting on a blanket.
He still is just a juvenile, got a bit more growing to do.

Sharon

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hes a cutie. Claw and all! Emps are very safe to handle! I never had a problem with an emperor!

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
looks like he was attacked post moult ;(
the depression on the "ok" claw,

does it catch crickets ok with this claw? looks like its doing fine!

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
He does just fine catching crickets. Of course he can only use the one claw, but he strikes at the crickets using both of them. I have seen him with a cricket in his mouth and walking around with another one in the unbroken claw. We think he is a cutie too. Not sure if he is a boy though. He won't sit still on top of anything thats clear long enough so you can see the underneath side of him. Scorpions don't seem to be like tarantulas, in that they won't let you turn them over on their backs so you can sex them.

Sharon

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Plus

He is pretty much constantly on the move. We can get him to calm down in our hands for a couple minutes then he's back to exploring.

Laura

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
you'll know if hes a female when he/she matures! Females can get really huge, but males dont get that big! My female is my the size of my whole palm!

and yes her name is "Esophagus" hahahahahahaha {D

Attachments

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Real nice scorpion. Have to ask you how did you come up with her name?

Sharon

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thats pretty good Raz. Does she fight other scorps? Attack you when you do cage maintainence?

Carnell, do you think he could have gotten the injury fighting with another scorpion? I don't know this one's history, maybe he oncewas living in a communal setting and got hurt fighting? I never noticed the depression till you pointed it out.

Sharon

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i think it was attacked after a moult,
that would explain why there is a dent, and not a crack in the OTHER claw

as it was moulting, and very soft, another scorp might have had a go at the emp ;(

im only guessing though

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That makes a lot of sense. Pretty smart thinking, thats probably why I hadn't thought of that. Do you think with his "shortcomings" this would not be an Emp. that you would place in a communal setting. I was thinking he would be better off living alone?

Sharon

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hmm yea maybe,
generally theyre all docile, but this guy couldnt fight back as well as usual,
so smart thinking there =D

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
cricket54 said:
Thats pretty good Raz. Does she fight other scorps? Attack you when you do cage maintainence?

I had her with a male and she killed him after only a week! :( Ever since then I have her separate!! She's a little mean during maintainence but is usually calm! She comes out when she hears me typing late almost every night! Sometimes I take her out and let her crawl all around! LOL Theres a small chance she can be pregnant. The male that she killed was put in with her this June and I seen him tryin to grab her claws several times. I had a flat rock in there and two hiding spots. She even let the male use her hide after a few days! I really hope to get babies next summer!

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
lol I have an evil female too!!! I put the male in and after a week she ate him too!!! Shes been HUGE ever since! Its been about 6 months since she ate him and shes so fat now shes gunna explode...how long are they gravid? She doesnt eat enough to justify the girth.

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
OldHag said:
lol I have an evil female too!!! I put the male in and after a week she ate him too!!! Shes been HUGE ever since! Its been about 6 months since she ate him and shes so fat now shes gunna explode...how long are they gravid? She doesnt eat enough to justify the girth.
do you have a pic of her? It is a little easier to tell! Usually when thier ready to give birth, you would 100% absolutely know!