cuddle bugs

kittenshi

Arachnopeon
Hello.. I've got 3 blue death feigning beetles, 2 males & 1 female. I caught the males locked in a tender embrace (note pictures) ... they stayed like this for a few minutes (although I'm not sure how long they were like that before I walked in) ..... they moved their legs only a wee bit while this was going on, the little guy (who's named Kabutomushi) was kinda clinging to the bigger dude (we call him Stompin' Stump Leg Craig because he's missing two feet) .... Craig had his legs out wide in that classic death feigning fashion... then he got up and the two started wrasslin for a moment before going their separate ways.
Sooo.... my question is, has anyone seen this kind of behavior from a darkling beetle, or any type of bug? Is it normal? What does it mean?????

Attachments

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Could be a male attempting to pair with a female (or other male, it happens). Even if the pairing was successful creating the optimal conditions to rear the ova and larvae would be difficult (been done, couple of threads on here. But difficult)

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
Great names, we have one that's missing a foot named Forrest Stump ha ha! My guess is they're either trying to mate or just climbing around. Such fun little beetles to watch.