Cube enclosures

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Ive found a few links with acrylic cubes through a few older threads, just wondering if there's newer or cheaper versions anywhere. Anything like "Jamie's tarantula enclosures". Just want to explore options. I like the looks of these but they look brittle and they aren't really on the cheap side of things. IMO

While doing my search I found this. Me being me, I love things like this. I have tons of these so making a few won't be hard. Anything like this is also what I'm looking for.
. Hope I linked it probably

Last edited by a moderator:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I believe Bugs In Cyberspace sells stackable cube terrariums. You might want to check that out, though I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I got mine from DreamCo Plastics. They custom build so you can get any size you want.
20191212_195048.jpg

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Get the Hobby Lobby display cases made by Pioneer Plastics. They come as small as about 3 inches to as large as ten inches.

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not a big fan of acrylic enclosures, they look great at the beginning and they're not as heavy as glass terrariums are but after a few years they scratch, become more opaque and even start bending. They're also more expensive than glass enclosures.

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
I'm not a big fan of acrylic enclosures, they look great at the beginning and they're not as heavy as glass terrariums are but after a few years they scratch, become more opaque and even start bending. They're also more expensive than glass enclosures.
I assumed acrylic were cheaper. If you have any links that'd be great. Worth checking out!

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
I got mine from DreamCo Plastics. They custom build so you can get any size you want.
View attachment 329300
Yup, I'm sold..."This is the way" lol, for me at least. Weight and NOT lifting any is my biggest concern, avoiding spinal fusion at all costs. Heavy glass enclosures aren't an option, even though I think they look better and then there's the scratch factor. I just submitted a request for the same enclosure design but requested the latches to be placed on the side instead of the front, to allow for a more unobstructed front viewing surface. Thanks for your post, it was a major influence on my decision to use this company.

How long was their turn around for you?

Nickz123

Arachnopeon
I like the acrylic display cases from Hobby Lobby. They have them in 2 spots at the stores, by the model cars and they have a section that are sports balls related. I also use DreamCo enclosures and love them. I met the owners of DreamCo at a reptile expo last year, they are great people and their products are just as good.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Check out all of the stuff on the container store’s website, they have cube enclosures that come in multiple sizes that are good for slings up to juvenile sizes. That’s what I personally use for mine cause I also love cube enclosures and they are extremely cheap. If you’re looking for more adult enclosures the previous posts are a good choice!

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just a word of warning about some of the dreamco 8x8x12 vertical enclosures. The acrylic is very thin and the door will warp very quickly (like within a month) The door has warped inward and there is actually a gap at the top and bottom.

I am speaking of this enclosure in particular I have no experience with any others.

EDIT: Just want to add that they offer this same enclosure with 1/4 inch acrylic (mine is 1/8) so I am sure it is a much better enclosure. The "some of" bolded above was added after I made my initial post.

To be clear my review of the enclosure is the one made of 1/8 inch acrylic only. Other than that I like they way they are made.

Last edited:

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
8 weeks.

I have one from another company that looks like that too. It is only 1/8" acrylic and warped quickly. Mine from DreamCo is 1/4" acrylic. I wont buy anything else now.
8 weeks.

I have one from another company that looks like that too. It is only 1/8" acrylic and warped quickly. Mine from DreamCo is 1/4" acrylic. I wont buy anything else now.
The one I have is 1/8 inch and it has the dreamco logo. It was cheap enough, I got 5 of them for $100.00 at Tinley Park last year, and it works so I'm not really complaining but I wouldn't buy any more of them. On their website they have 1/8 and 1/4 options so the 1/8 could have been an earlier version that they are closing out (it is discounted)

Thank you Kitara for pointing that out. I've edited my original post to clarify I was talking about the 1/8 inch model only.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
The one I have is 1/8 inch and it has the dreamco logo.
Oh I didn't mean for it to sound like it was the company one way or another. I meant that I learned from my mistake about the 1/8" acrylic and I won't get anything less than 1/4" now. I don't think it's the company's construction, I just think it's just that 1/8" acrylic is prone to warping. It's just too thin (IME).

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh I didn't mean for it to sound like it was the company one way or another. I meant that I learned from my mistake about the 1/8" acrylic and I won't get anything less than 1/4" now. I don't think it's the company's construction, I just think it's just that 1/8" acrylic is prone to warping. It's just too thin (IME).
I agree I like pretty much everything about the cages and even the 1/8 is fine for the rest of the construction except the door. I'm sure a cage made from 1/8 inch would warp no matter what company made it. I'm glad you pointed it out. I'd hate for someone to see my review and think all their cages were bad based on my experience with one model. You said you had the dreamco cage and I was ready to not ever consider them again because of the ones I have but now that I know they do make a better one I will consider them. Their prices are pretty good and they do look nice.

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
Just got an estimate. Three .25" thick (10"x10"x10") cubes with shipping comes to $226.00 USD, $88.60 USD each. I could save around $120 with the DIY approach, but its worth not having to drill all those holes, layout hinges and learn from my mistakes. 8 weeks though...hopefully that was the exception and not the rule.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Just got an estimate. Three .25" thick (10"x10"x10") cubes with shipping comes to $226.00 USD, $88.60 USD each. I could save around $120 with the DIY approach, but its worth not having to drill all those holes, layout hinges and learn from my mistakes. 8 weeks though...hopefully that was the exception and not the rule.
That seems pretty expensive for a 10x10x10! I’d much rather make my own for half the cost and have the left over for other T’s

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
That seems pretty expensive for a 10x10x10! I’d much rather make my own for half the cost and have the left over for other T’s
Maybe, depending on perspective or where you're at in life and also how many T's you plan on keeping. I don't plan on having 10 at any given point in time and I don't mind spending money on a quality product that I'm going to be looking at daily.

I'm all about DIY don't get me wrong, but my hand drilled holes that I meticulously laid out will never stack up to ones made by a machine controlled laser. I guarantee my lid will be misaligned my 1st go and I will spend hours trying to tweek it resulting in at least two trips to the hardware store and most likely 1 bout of road rage. Avoiding all that stress at the cost of $120 and getting something of better quality that I can possibly hope to make? Sold! Plus, now I'll have all this extra time to research my next T :p, all a matter of perspective.