Crusty white build up?

dmb1310

Arachnopeon
My friend gave me his T (I belive it is a Aphonopelma Hentzi) because he was leaving town, I have a decent collection, so it's a nice one to add.

But I am concerned for it. It seems to have this strange white build up around the fangs (see picture), not sure what it is.. Also, on most of the legs, it has these spur type parts coming out the joints (unfortunately couldn't get photo), as if it had a hard time molting. I guess I'm just worried because he does look a lil beat up.. He's not sluggish, I have offered it food, which it rejected for now.

Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
The white around its fangs look like poop residue to me from probably pooping upside down, 2nd looks like your friend gave you a MM tarantula as I believe those are palpal bulbs I see, And since he's mature his lifespan will be very short lived and his one priority is finding a mate so not having an appetite isn't unusual... you'll notice him roaming around incessantly trying to escape as well.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Looks like poop or dried feeder waste

It may groom it off or it may not.

dmb1310

Arachnopeon
Is the white stuff moving?
Nah it's not moving. it's like a dried up white stuff. I was thinking it was either the remains of a meal or possible calcium build up?? not sure if calcium is even a possibility.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Nah it's not moving. it's like a dried up white Ituff. I was thinking it was either the remains of a meal or possible calcium build up?? not sure if calcium is even a possibility.
Oh, good! Nematodes can be ruled out then. I've never heard of a
calcium build-up honestly, but i have never encountered this situation before. Keep an eye on it, maybe it is just some residue from a meal, since tarantula have mouthparts that filter the big chunks out so only liquid can pass through.

dmb1310

Arachnopeon
Oh, good! Nematodes can be ruled out then. I've never heard of a
calcium build-up honestly, but i have never encountered this situation before. Keep an eye on it, maybe it is just some residue from a meal, since tarantula have mouthparts that filter the big chunks out so only liquid can pass through.
Nematodes was a suspicion of mine. But I really don't think so. I'm hoping it's food or poop as suggested. I hope he doesn't die on me. I now have a male/female pair of this species which is exciting. But I am in no way going to try breeding, I am nowhere near experienced.

Thanks for all the replies!! I like my new addition to the family.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It does appear to be fecal matter build up on the fang region.

I also agree that it appears to be a mature male based on the image you uploaded although a few more would confirm this. The abdomen appears to be quite small so it would not surprise me.
Enjoy it for the time it has left as unfortunately it is on borrowed time.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Looks like MM spurs. Pics of emboli on pedipalps would confirm it further.

dmb1310

Arachnopeon
Looks like MM spurs. Pics of emboli on pedipalps would confirm it further.
Thanks! I appreciate all the help. I've only been in the hobby for about 10 months now so I am still learning and have a long way to go. I will try get another picture later. Thanks again!

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Thanks! I appreciate all the help. I've only been in the hobby for about 10 months now so I am still learning and have a long way to go. I will try get another picture later. Thanks again!
No other photo needed, this is 100% a mature male. He may live another week, he may live another year, but he will never molt again. He's done growing, and his one and only interest in life now is finding a female to mate with. He may never eat for you. All you can do at this point is make sure he has access to water, offer food, and let him live the rest of his (now short) life.

dmb1310

Arachnopeon
No other photo needed, this is 100% a mature male. He may live another week, he may live another year, but he will never molt again. He's done growing, and his one and only interest in life now is finding a female to mate with. He may never eat for you. All you can do at this point is make sure he has access to water, offer food, and let him live the rest of his (now short) life.
I guess the good news is, he's eating a meal right now!! Happy to see it.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
You mentioned calcium buildup, you're not dusting the feeders by any chance are you? I'm assuming not, but figured I'd ask.

EDIT: Don't think calcium buildup is possible as in too much calcium being ingested, I was just referring to calcium dust getting stuck around the mouth if the feeders were being dusted.