Crushing the head of superworms

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
my hubby has been crushing the heads of superworms as everyone suggests, but they don't keep moving. They just are kinda dead...... Help!

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
my hubby has been crushing the heads of superworms as everyone suggests, but they don't keep moving. They just are kinda dead...... Help!
I am also worried about this. When I feed my only sling, he will eat a little and then leave it to rot ... I think they just pick at them, dead or freshly killed, after a while. Guessing this is for the new slings?

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I am also worried about this. When I feed my only sling, he will eat a little and then leave it to rot ... I think they just pick at them, dead or freshly killed, after a while. Guessing this is for the new slings?
No. I just gave them bits last night and took out the leftovers this morning. The pieces I gave were pretty big. I didn't expect them to eat it all.
My question was for the bigger ones. They're about 2 1/2- 3 inches I think. Would like to feed them whole worms.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Ohhhhh, got it. For me, I just feed the live worms to them. They tend to snatch it right up. Can't really help with crushing them :(

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Also, thanks for the sling feeding info. Got my first smallspider, so now I know to offer big chunks and take them the next day :)

magicmed

Arachnobaron
The ones I prekill for I drop a few inches away from them, if they don't take it right away I use a paint brush to very lightly stimulate the prey. Most of the time a little nudging of the feeder towards the t causes enough movement to prompt interest. That's just my experience though. :)

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Th
The ones I prekill for I drop a few inches away from them, if they don't take it right away I use a paint brush to very lightly stimulate the prey. Most of the time a little nudging of the feeder towards the t causes enough movement to prompt interest. That's just my experience though. :)
Thank you! I tried that with the vagans, but I think she's in pre molt. Glad to know we're probably doing something right.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
In my experience, sometimes the crushed superworm doesn't move enough for my more timid eaters.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Please tell me this doesn't surprise you.
So many people said they'd still kinda twitch. Everyone has squished a bug and seen the legs twitch after, so yeah, I expected twitching. I am not surprised killing them causes them to be dead! Lol

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
So many people said they'd still kinda twitch. Everyone has squished a bug and seen the legs twitch after, so yeah, I expected twitching. I am not surprised killing them causes them to be dead! Lol
Well they do sorto f stay alive for a few days, but usually not enough movement.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I made the mistake of cutting the heads off with scissors...ewwwww.
Nasty little buggers, iI'll be going back to locusts and mealies.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
You are supposed to only slighty smash in the head, if you shash the head too much or rip it off they die in a few minutes, but if you smash it just slightly then they will still move around but not be able to burrow.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
They do still twitch and writhe around if you hold them with tongs after you crush the head, but not if they're just laying there undisturbed...so it works with reptiles but not so great with tarantulas

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
You are supposed to only slighty smash in the head, if you shash the head too much or rip it off they die in a few minutes, but if you smash it just slightly then they will still move around but not be able to burrow.
This is my problem then. Finding that balance between no longer burrowing, but still wiggling.
I'll be chopping them up for the slings and if I still have any after they outgrow that, I suppose the chickens would love them!