Crual spray painted emps..

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

(here's the official page for the pic http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12824 )

Some people says the emps were under a blacklight.. that's impossible.. anyways.. I wish the emps didn't suffer much from that, and that nobody else will ever do that..

I hope that it wasn't too offencive.. just informative about crualness of people..

Frank

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, Frank.

It could've been a specific wavelength of full UV light with almost no visible light escape (blacklights are near UV only and not strong enough UV, nor do they have the wavelength needed to create a blue coloration, but only create a green tint to emps), but this picture is too bright for one to have been used as the extreme coloration, indeed, and would not have shown so clearly blue. I have not seen quite that strong of a frequency used on scorpions by anyone anyway though. If anyone is using a lamp that creates this strong of a blue effect on emps, you'd better discontinue use of it asap. Unless you want some dead scorps. And if I find out this moron painted his scorps, I'm gonna mail him one of my "special scorps" encased in nothing more than an envelope with no return addy. *lol*

adios,
edw. :mad:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Guys,

I've seen scorps under blacklights at reptile shows that were exactly that shade of blue. They are not spray painted, well, at least the ones I saw were not.

Scott

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Flash cameras can produce this result, too. Some flashes have rather odd wavelengths, plus picture TINT can even vary from camera to camera, so it's not surprising that they turned out looking so blue. I've seen flash shots of Emps before that looked positively pastel blue-green, the color you used to see cars and old metal deck furniture painted. ;)

bill

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm hmm I may be wrong, anyways if they were spray painted that's very cruel for the animals.. if not that's ok.. and the fluorecence isnt really possible.. it was at a reptile show where there's plenty of "normal" light..

Thanks for the comments through

Frank

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Spray paint is really toxic as well... I highly doubt that they would be alive after being drenched in spray paint...

Whitdadie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats pretty sick.. maybe if we show the picture to our HOT scorps and maybe they will get pissed also.. Then they will go hunt the bad guy down and, um.. sting him! lol. Sorry to joke around about the topic, but yeah, that is pretty disgusting if that really is paint.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
Spray paint is really toxic as well... I highly doubt that they would be alive after being drenched in spray paint...
I second that. especially in the mouth area.

Bill

Kugellager

ArachnoJester
Arachnosupporter
There is some Blacklight coloration on the upper right corner of the pic so I think it was under a blacklight...but I also bet it was tweaked in photoshop too. You can easily bring up only one color. It wouldn't have had to have been tweaked that much. Plus like others have mentioned some digital cameras pick up blue tones in weird ways.

John
];')

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There is some Blacklight coloration on the upper right corner of the pic so I think it was under a blacklight...but I also bet it was tweaked in photoshop too. You can easily bring up only one color. It wouldn't have had to have been tweaked that much. Plus like others have mentioned some digital cameras pick up blue tones in weird ways.
I agree fully, especially seeing as how this is sort of in the area of my college major. In the upper right of the picture there is a strong refection of black light coloration, and I don't mean just the refections of the scorpions...but the light (as in faint) fuzzed area of reflection between them from a distinct light sorce. Also in between the upper two scorps there is a shaded area of black light coloration to the substrate. And as John said, this could very easily be tweaked in photoshop.

In Him,
Marcus

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not to mention, many digital cameras muck up color badly. They will use software to approximate a color if they can't capture it in true form. Which non-too-often makes things come out looking a little odd.

Thats the best pic I could get under a blacklight. My camera doesn't pick up the glow at all. :p

Rav

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would think that if they were painted, their movement would also be dramatically limited. The enamel in the paint would likely freeze their joints and all. Also, in my experience with spray paint, I can''t imagine how in the world someone would get such a perfect even coat on a moving creature, especially such good coverage on all sides.
Another thing I notice is there are areas where you can see between the joints and segments where they aren't as blue as the chitin. If they had been painted, they would've had to actually mask the soft areas between joints/segments etc which would have been almost impossible, especially with that many scorps. You can even see the side of the one right in the midde and it's not blue like the uv reactive parts.

Atrax

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Two things caught my eye in the photo of the Emperor's as others have noticed:

Coloration was too even
The area between the joints

I too would have to assume that the resulting photo is due in part to either lighting (as evidenced by the hue of the substrate and in the corner of the photo), a little digital magic courtesy of PhotoShop, the spectrum allowed by a digital camera....or a little of all the above.

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm, sorry to drag this up after so long, just saw a link to it from another thread, and remembered it. Anyway, they have been 'painted' in on photoshop or the like, if you look at the right chela of one of the scorpions in the foreground (bottom right) you will notice a very tiny patch of brown-red colouration.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester
Arachnosupporter
Pretty sure its just a piece of substrate...look at the pic of my scorp in the other thread...there all over my H.spinifer...and the photo in this thread is not nearly as sharp.

John
];')

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Take a look at the substrate, straw and pieces of bark. You could be right, but the blue looks too uniform and intense to be created from underneath a black light or similar.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester
Arachnosupporter
You can see evidence of a purple glow from the blacklight on the substrate at the top just to the left of center as well as a purple coloration on the glas and outside the tank in the upper right. The photo was most likely taken with a digital camera, which we discussed in detail over in the thread on the 'blue' scorpions, enhances the blue coloration.

John
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Sigh. Okay, this is starting to piss me off. All you need to see this sort of effect is a blacklight and a scorpion. Observe this picture I just took using my blacklight LED headlamp and digital camera.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How do you know its not a faulty camera? It would be much easier to fake a photo by colouring the scorpions (which it looks like - dodgy shading, etc.) than to take a photo under blacklight, enhance the blues, then recolour the substrate.