Crowd sourcing for a millipede book.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I did a fantastic job ghosting all y'all on this project, didn't I ;)?

Anyways, when I first came up with this idea and made that post, you can guess I was relatively naïve, especially being relatively new to the hobby. Regardless, I now have the network of people I need (at least enough to start...), plus a fair bit more knowledge, to actually make something on that scale...but not in book form. Rather, in partnership with @MillipedeTrain and in collaboration with the Global Millipede Group, I am working on a millipede husbandry database known as The MED: The Millipede Enthusiast Database. It is easy to mark its incompleteness, and hopefully someday soon it will be moved to a more permanent site, but in the meantime it resides here.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I had seen this thread before, and wondered what came of it, I’m glad you didn’t give up and there’s a data base now!! Kudos for you for trying to put together a reliable source the hobby appreciates you!! Thanks!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Thank you, but it's not just me, there are plenty of people who are helping to contribute to it, and that's the only way it'll keep growing; my experience alone is far too limited.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I did a fantastic job ghosting all y'all on this project, didn't I ;)?

Anyways, when I first came up with this idea and made that post, you can guess I was relatively naïve, especially being relatively new to the hobby. Regardless, I now have the network of people I need (at least enough to start...), plus a fair bit more knowledge, to actually make something on that scale...but not in book form. Rather, in partnership with @MillipedeTrain and in collaboration with the Global Millipede Group, I am working on a millipede husbandry database known as The MED: The Millipede Enthusiast Database. It is easy to mark its incompleteness, and hopefully someday soon it will be moved to a more permanent site, but in the meantime it resides here.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
That's funny; I was just remembering this post and it popped up in my feed. I was wondering if anything became of it. I did not remember it was you, however! Great project..

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Ha ha, yep. Concept came to me back when I was very fresh to the hobby still. I think I've matured a bit since then...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Ha ha, yep. Concept came to me back when I was very fresh to the hobby still. I think I've matured a bit since then...

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Well, it was a great idea! I think what you are doing with reaching out to individuals is the better plan. Good luck!

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I've been working on a new milliped book with new and expanded species details but it will take a few years. I imagine you'll be done long before me.

I'm probably 5 years away unless I lose my day job. I like the title Diplopod Zoology, do you have a title for yours?
I thought it would be done this year three years ago but I put the isopod book in front and changes in work and family mean 2025 is practical.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I've been working on a new milliped book with new and expanded species details but it will take a few years. I imagine you'll be done long before me.
That's awesome. I look forward to seeing it updated.
Maybe, but I'm doubtful, even if I stick to regularly working on it. I am sitting on a ton of information, with multiple knowledgeable people (and still many more I'd love to talk to) waiting to send me more. Plus, since this database is hoped to be international, I am also in contact with people elsewhere in the world who have species I had never heard of before ("Bumblebee millipedes" from Indonesia for example that don't seem to have ever been described); many of the more common species need to be covered as well. Come to think of it, it's already outdated because we were able to key out the Anadenobolus sp. "Panama" as Anadenobolus ocraceus.

I'm probably 5 years away unless I lose my day job. I like the title Diplopod Zoology, do you have a title for yours?
I thought it would be done this year three years ago but I put the isopod book in front and changes in work and family mean 2025 is practical.
We're calling the site The Millipede (or "Milliped", if you prefer) Enthusiast Database (The MED) right now. If a print version ever happens (unlikely at this point) I don't know what it would be called.
Well then, 2025 will be looked forward to with expectation :D.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
The work continues. The site now has info on five families, with Spirostreptidae and Andrognathidae (Pseudodesmus anyone?) being the newest and most incomplete. The next big project is updating formatting for everything to be in a pseudo-MLA style, as well as revising and updating the Conservation page.

Always looking for qualified contributors (and fact checkers) to the work.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Huzzah! Finally finished the monstrous undertaking of writing about the family Spirostreptidae. There is a still lot of info and photos that need to be added in but it is enough for now.

Thirty-one genera of five families are now discussed on the site.

Any suggestions on what the next family discussed should be? I was thinking maybe Pachybolidae, Paradoxosomatidae, or the Xystodesmidae.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Last edited: