crossbreeding in the same genus?

Mister Senpai

Arachnopeon
Before I say anything, NO, I would never ever try this, I understand it is frowned upon, and anyone who would do this is outrageous. This is merely a question sparked by my curiosity.

Anyways, I was casually thinking of crossbreeding between the homo genus, but I wondered if it is physically possible for T's in the same genus to breed and create some strange hybrid monster. For example, if you took a female P Metallica and male P Rufilata. Would they see each other as a different animal and attack each other or would the male attempt to breed with the female? Would they even produce any survivable offspring? I've never heard of crossbreeding in the hobby, but a quick google search shows that people would be pretty pissed if someone tried to do so.

In addition, would a hybrid between 2 completely different genus be possible, or would it be like a gorilla trying to mate with a hooman?

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Would they see each other as a different animal and attack each other or would the male attempt to breed with the female? Would they even produce any survivable offspring? I've never heard of crossbreeding in the hobby, but a quick google search shows that people would be pretty pissed if someone tried to do so.
Species within the same genus can sometimes interbreed, and the resulting offspring would not necessarily be infertile.

If you search previous threads, you can find many discussions on this topic; it's a hot-button issue:

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Some species in the same genera can be crossbreed, but (as you know) it is very frowned upon and should *not* be done.

Some species are muddled because of it; they won't allow hobbyist Poecilotheria to be bred to be released into the wild even though some species are very endangered because they aren't considered pure enough. :(

Mister Senpai

Arachnopeon
just a little thought, but I have a male rutilata and female Metallica both in enclosures next to each other, and I didn't notice any tapping from the male despite the vent holes right next to each other. So the male either isn't interested in metallicas or doesn't notice her. I'm not provoking the 2, I just happen to arrange my T's by genus, hence what sparked my curiosity.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
just a little thought, but I have a male rutilata and female Metallica both in enclosures next to each other, and I didn't notice any tapping from the male despite the vent holes right next to each other.
Is the male mature?

My mature male tarantulas have often tapped even when there are no mature females of the same genus in the room.

Mister Senpai

Arachnopeon
Is the male mature?

My mature male tarantulas have often tapped even when there are no mature females of the same genus in the room.
he molted into a mature male 3 weeks ago, he's probably too fresh. I intend on breeding him with my friends female rufilata maybe in a few months.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Not sure why one would want to do it when there are already so many species out there, you can’t possibly have every species in your collection so instead of making a hybrid, just get a new species.

Hybridization is how some species of animals become extinct. Few dog breeds are prime examples.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Species within the same genus can sometimes interbreed, and the resulting offspring would not necessarily be infertile.

If you search previous threads, you can find many discussions on this topic; it's a hot-button issue:
This is an awesome POST...So Cool.

Borttor

Arachnopeon
Before I say anything, NO, I would never ever try this, I understand it is frowned upon, and anyone who would do this is outrageous. This is merely a question sparked by my curiosity.

Anyways, I was casually thinking of crossbreeding between the homo genus, but I wondered if it is physically possible for T's in the same genus to breed and create some strange hybrid monster. For example, if you took a female P Metallica and male P Rufilata. Would they see each other as a different animal and attack each other or would the male attempt to breed with the female? Would they even produce any survivable offspring? I've never heard of crossbreeding in the hobby, but a quick google search shows that people would be pretty pissed if someone tried to do so.

In addition, would a hybrid between 2 completely different genus be possible, or would it be like a gorilla trying to mate with a hooman?
I don't know a super large amount about is spider breeding rituals or anything like this for them but you might be able to hybridize to different genuses but it would undoubtedly result in a sterile offspring I guess that would largely depend on chromosome differences I mean I guess I could do some reading into it . I will say this though genus is about the limitation to breeding capability for example can humans breed with chimps Maybe I don't think so but we could in theory but like a gorilla we couldn't I don't know if there's too much of a difference between those two spiders or if spiders are even complex enough to where they would require closer ties. I will say this though genus is about the limitation to breeding capability 24 example can humans breed with chips maybe I don't think so but we could and theory but like a gorilla we could I don't know if there's too much of a difference between those

I'm not sure if spiders are capable of cross genus breeding I feel like whether a hybrid could be achieved or not I don't think they would mate the female will just see the male as food and have it for a snack. If I remember what Rufus is that would result in one beautiful arachnid

hunterc

Arachnopeon
Ive read all the threads here i could find on this topic..this subject makes the handle/dont handle threads look like a walk in the park on a sunny day:happy:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Someone looking to create FrankenTs and destroy the hobby for the rest- wonderful.