Cross Orbweaver

SpiderShadowz

Arachnopeon
Araneus diadematus aka Cross Orbweaver

How do these guys respond to being in captivity? Is it hard to provide them with the space they need to build their potentially massive webs? I have two in my yard that have 3 or 4 foot tall orb webs and they are big spiders themselves. I considered bringing them in for the winter but I don't know much about them.

I won't be able to get them in until the end of the weekend and if there is cold weather I may not get a chance to bring them in, if its even a good idea to start with. Anyone have any infos on these little ones?

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If those are adult females you probably won't have much luck with trying to keep them inside over the winter. They usually mature in late summer or fall, lay their eggs and then die. So, any adults you're seeing now will be nearing the end of their life spans.

If they are immature you might give it a try, though.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
If those are adult females you probably won't have much luck with trying to keep them inside over the winter. They usually mature in late summer or fall, lay their eggs and then die. So, any adults you're seeing now will be nearing the end of their life spans.

If they are immature you might give it a try, though.
Waaait, does this mean that the majority of our female adult spiders will die this winter?? :confused:

We're asking because this is our first winter with our spiders and I wasn't sure on their life span's considering I don't know their exact age; I have read on the internet, the life span of a True Spider is usually 1-2 years depending on the species, etc. Besides the Widow, none of our female spiders have produced an egg sac while in our care.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Waaait, does this mean that the majority of our female adult spiders will die this winter?? :confused:
No, not at all. I'm just talking about some species of adult orb weavers, like this one, that do that - especially in regions where the winters are on the cold side. Does not apply to all spiders everywhere. :) In fact, in warmer parts of BC it might not apply, either. I was going on probabilities.

We're asking because this is our first winter with our spiders and I wasn't sure on their life span's considering I don't know their exact age; I have read on the internet, the life span of a True Spider is usually 1-2 years depending on the species, etc. Besides the Widow, none of our female spiders have produced an egg sac while in our care.
Life span depends on the kind of spider, but also on where it is living. The same spider with a two-year lifespan in northern regions, for example, might have just a one-year life span in southern regions. That's because in the north the summers are too short for that species to reach adulthood in one season, so it overwinters as a subadult and matures in its second year.

That's just a general example, though. Exact location/circumstances and the exact species of a particular spider are important in determining ultimate lifespan. However, I have found that spiders can live a little longer in captivity than they will in the wild, if properly cared for.

Oh, hell, ... the OP should collect some and just keep them for as long as he/she can. :) What the heck. I recommend collecting immatures, as they will last longer.

SpiderShadowz

Arachnopeon
I did not want to bring her in until it was cold, I don't know a lot about spiders but I was hoping to save her from the winter freeze. Last year my spider friend froze and fell two stories and died. So I was hopeful I could save her. It is unfortunate they do not live for long, I quite enjoy my little buddy. Any idea what their egg sacs look like? I do not want the babies running loose in my house, and the lid of the enclosure is just build with screen door netting. Wonder if I need more high tech netting to keep the babies in if she happens to lay eggs.

here is a pic of her and her first indoor web: