cross breeding

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha, you're joking right.:)

-Sean
Am afraid hiz not, looks like its all going down to an artificial insemination,
And sumday it will be all over our planet geneticaly incorrect designer muttants, sum great sum afful, lol
den, who needs sex?

Oy! did I said dis out loud :eek:

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Am afraid hiz not, looks like its all going down to an artificial insemination
Artificial insemination wouldn't make any difference with breeding different genus of tarantula--they're too genetically far apart to produce viable offspring, period. :?

Think of it like trying to crossbreed humans and chimps, or chimps and gorillas. Doesn't work. :)

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Artificial insemination wouldn't make any difference with breeding different genus of tarantula--they're too genetically far apart to produce viable offspring, period. :?

Think of it like trying to crossbreed humans and chimps, or chimps and gorillas. Doesn't work. :)
yes, I know, but if sumthin ever go wrong and we end up wit 20 foot flying tarantula :?
Hmmm, I though I would want one :D

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Or if they ever found one of those prehistoric spiders preserved in amber...

... and cloned (a la similar to Jurassic Park).

What would be the hobby slogan be then-- "The hobby is no longer hobby but an adventure where you are the meal."

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Am afraid hiz not, looks like its all going down to an artificial insemination,
By the time you got them genetically similar enough to breed, they would no longer be B. smithi crossed with GBB. K?

-Sean

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nah, I'd rather cross a Scolopendra gigantea and Brachypelma smithi personally.

Think outside the box guys.

BTW, I don't like crossbreeding. A contaminated strain of mutants doesn't need to find itself mixed with the pure bred stock.

Spunky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I understand the varying opinions on this one, and I don't support designer pets, hybrids, etc, but.... isn't is plausable that several of the tarantula species in this hobby, might be the product off crossbreeding?
Let me explain. I think it entirely possible that some species are hybrids that were successful to the point that they became their own species. It would make sense to me that some of the species, especially those common to a specific area could easily have reproduced hybrids that were fertile and successful enough that they became a similar but different species. No an impossible concept.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
isn't is plausable that several of the tarantula species in this hobby, might be the product off crossbreeding?
Yes, not only possible, but likely. Now, the difficult part is we don't have a clear definition of 'species' anyway, so its hard to determine exactly what we've brought into the hobby let alone 'crossbred'.

-Sean

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A friend of mine works at the GM Lab at the Ministry of Natrural Resources here in Canada. He has told me time and time again he's give me late night access to his gene gun. Usually used for plants, but can also be used for animalia. So techniquely, I should be able to cross any speicies I choose. Though intially we'd have many non-viable offspring. Eventually, I'd have a fully crossed new species. One that would also be fertile. I could name it after myself :)

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A friend of mine works at the GM Lab at the Ministry of Natrural Resources here in Canada. He has told me time and time again he's give me late night access to his gene gun. Usually used for plants, but can also be used for animalia. So techniquely, I should be able to cross any speicies I choose. Though intially we'd have many non-viable offspring. Eventually, I'd have a fully crossed new species. One that would also be fertile. I could name it after myself :)
:eek: Ohh nooo, here goes Dr Frankenstein

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My 2 cents

I think the whole topic of cross breeding leads to people losing sight of why T's are bred in captivity in the first place. The only reason T's should be bred in captivity is to ensure the survival of the particular species that you are breeding. The pet trade of T's is only a bonus that comes along with this breeding. Owning T's as pets is merely a privilege that is allowed since it is not harmful to the different species(unless they are wild caught, which is another issue for another day), and actually ends up as beneficial since many owners choose to breed their T's. However, if cross breeding were to be unchecked and widespread (assuming that it already occurs at some level), then you are endangering the future of whatever species you are cross breeding. There is no clear scientific necessity for the cross breeding of T's and it is just another example of human beings playing God for no apparent reason. You simply cannot create a completely new species merely for your own entertainment, it's sick and perverted.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sick and perverted ???? Those are powerful words ! People have been doing cross breeding for centuries. Many of the foods we eat today wouldn't have existed if someone hadn't crossed them with something at some point. If you ever had a snow pea you're a hypocrite...

What makes cross breeding so " sick " ?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Many of the foods we eat today wouldn't have existed if someone hadn't crossed them with something at some point.
Unless you're going to eat the hybrid tarantulas you breed, I don't think this is a relevant argument. {D Hybrid food products were presumably made for a very good reason (toughening a plant species or something, I'm not a biologist by any means) because we needed them, as opposed to a bunch of bored geeks looking for something to brag about.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Unless you're going to eat the hybrid tarantulas you breed, I don't think this is a relevant argument. {D Hybrid food products were presumably made for a very good reason (toughening a plant species or something, I'm not a biologist by any means) because we needed them, as opposed to a bunch of bored geeks looking for something to brag about.
Absolutely, those are examples of (both plant and animals) for agricultural, sport, industrial, and domestic application and purpose. What purpose does a hybrid tarantula play? None.

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You simply cannot create a completely new species merely for your own entertainment, it's sick and perverted.
Some of you guys missed the first part of that sentence. But I think Mushroom Spore and Megalon have already clarified that anyways.

starmaiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't know why anyone would want to actually do it in the first place, but wouldn't a cross of two species be infertile anyways? Like mules which are a cross between a horse and a donkey?

And I agree it would be unnecessarily complicating things. Given the way things are going, I'm sure there are more than a few species that may cease to exist in another few hundred years. It would be a shame if many of the captive specimins became impure through casual crossbreeding of species.

However, it is fun to think about what a cross between two species would be like. Salticidae and avics for example. :D

titus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have to agree with most that has been said against Cross breeding, as all this does is remove the parent animals from the trade.

There is room for hybred animals (asumming there's a market for them and there sold as hybred) so long as there is a large number of pure line offspring.

You'll find that cross breeding isn't so much of a hot topic when you speak to Cornsnake/ kingsnake breeders as is when you speak with people who breed animals that are threatened like Dartfrogs.

If the trade would start being popualted by Hybreeds sooner or later the pure lines would become unavalible in the trade. As new WC animals could not be brought in as often to support the captive breeding demand.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I don't know why anyone would want to actually do it in the first place, but wouldn't a cross of two species be infertile anyways? Like mules which are a cross between a horse and a donkey?
There are many MANY fertile 'crossbreeds'. It happens all the time.
And it can with tarantulas.

The main point that must be addressed is, what defines a true 'species' before it can be determined what is
technically a 'hybrid'.

-Sean

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have to agree with most that has been said against Cross breeding, as all this does is remove the parent animals from the trade.

There is room for hybred animals (asumming there's a market for them and there sold as hybred) so long as there is a large number of pure line offspring.

Pretty much why I don't bother panicking with it. Hybrids are actualy very few, and the people who are too lousy to label their offspring properly and protects the pure lines are also too lousy to achieve any breeding at all. And they are not the ones with the T species that need to be protected. Except for my rufilata/metallica dream beast, I find that most of the compatible species are too much lookalike anyway, so why bother doing it?