Cross breed?!?!???

JonoAndHisTs

Arachnopeon
Has anyone else besides me thought about how cool it’ll be if you can cross breed tarantulas like an OBT with a A. Chalcodes like imagine a really slow growing long lived chill Orange Chalcodes orrr vice versa a extremely terrifying Chalcodes coming at you

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I am certain many already have.

7E328E06-16ED-4BED-8A45-59618AEE8069.jpeg

And, I am all for keeping tarantulas at their pure original state.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
It's considered highly undesirable because unlike the mule, hybrids are usually fertile. This means that the bloodlines of species &/or races of inverts gets polluted.

Of course, those critters that are accidently crossed can still make good pets but should never be bred.

The subject is highly controversial!!¡!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JonoAndHisTs

Arachnopeon
Everyone disliking my post like I wrote something bad. I apologize for jexpressing my thoughts. But really though so sorry if I offended anyone. Just thought that it’ll be fun to talk about it, but I guess it isn’t a good topic to bring up. I just find these guys fascinating so I couldn’t help but post. Now I know to only come here if I only need information on my tarantulas.

Has anyone else besides me thought about how cool it’ll be if you can cross breed tarantulas like an OBT with a A. Chalcodes like imagine a really slow growing long lived chill Orange Chalcodes orrr vice versa a extremely terrifying Chalcodes coming at you
I’m just gonna post a :banghead: before unwatching this thread.

Bye!
I might be extreme in saying this. I think cross-breeding should be illegal and have legal consequences

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I've rated your post 'Optimistic' because you said (quote) 'Has anyone else besides me...'.

Thing is, you aren't the first, you wouldn't be the last talking about the issue. Sadly, in the middle of this, in the middle of 'thoughts', certain people did that, for real.

In fact I call genus Hysterocrates 'mess 'o-rocrates'.

JonoAndHisTs

Arachnopeon
I've rated your post 'Optimistic' because you said (quote) 'Has anyone else besides me...'.

Thing is, you aren't the first, you wouldn't be the last talking about the issue. Sadly, in the middle of this, in the middle of 'thoughts', certain people did that, for real.

In fact I call genus Hysterocrates 'mess 'o rocrates'.
Thank you Chris for clarifying things up with me that was all I needed not all the others that viewed my thread hated on it without giving an explanation just FacePalms. I’m new to the hobby so I didn’t know.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thank you Chris for clarifying things up with me that was all I needed not all the others that viewed my thread hated on it without giving an explanation just FacePalms. I’m new to the hobby so I didn’t know.
It's ok :angelic:

Don't worry, man. Just remember that, for a lot and a lot of reasons, that practice is... damn wrong. This issue is not even 'controversial' ('handling', for instance, is controversial) but, as I've said, just damn wrong :bookworm:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Not really. Cross bred spiders usually look dull, and in the hands of an idiot or just ignorant keeper, can lead to many more cross bred slings across the hobby. Ruining the species.

Hobby Hysterocrates is a complete mess. People couldn't tell them apart and now most are just a mix.

Brachypelma vagans and a few other species, boehmei, Baumgartneri, etc. Have also been cross bred heavily.

No benefits and only cons in the long run. Best to keep each pure as possible.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Crossbreeding is incredibly bad for the hobby, and every sane keeper who's been in the hobby a while knows that. The flood of dislikes and face palms isn't because you're an idiot for positing your curiosity, it's simply because we get threads like this where people ACTUALLY want to crossbreed Ts 'for funsies.' The topic is about as tender as handling Ts, and beginners getting OWs.

However-- if you'd read this, you'd have seen that it's best to search for identical threads before posting a new one, and if you'd done that the results would have shown you everything you were about to step in. That is exactly why there is a list of similar threads that come up when you go to post a new thread and type in the title.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
The thing is that the definition of a species that had also been polluted. When biology made more sense, 2 species were distinct because they could NOT reproduce at all or the offspring were sterile and deformed.

A race / subspecies was defined as 2 critters with obvious differences that nevertheless could have healthy normal offspring.

Due to reasons of showboating and political correctness, this clear fact had been obscured. Just as it should be obvious that Siamese cats and Dobermans should retain pure bloodlines, tarantulas should be protected in the same way.

Subspecies are more fragile when it comes to retaining their distinctness because they are NOT fully distinct.

That's my 2 cents worth. Hybrids like mixed breed dogs and cats should be all adopted, never bred.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Everyone disliking my post like I wrote something bad.
Don't sweat it! :)

There have been threads before about how cool it would be if one could crossbreed a GBB with a T. stirmi (result: a giant blue/green/orange spider) and so on, and everyone liked to participate by coming up with the most outrageous combinations. I think it was just not quite clear to everyone that you were not serious about crossbreeding, and your idea was not meant to be taken too seriously (you weren't serious, were you?). I think this is because you are not very well-known on Arachnoboards yet. A lot of new keepers find their way to this platform, which is good and you are more than welcome. Unfortunately there are also a number of noobs who seriously consider crossbreeding. Well, that is a big no-no here, and rightfully so.

But to be honest, I quite liked your idea of a slow moving terrestrial with the colours of an OBT :D

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
It is impossible to cross breed different genera. So even if anyone tries this, good luck with that ;P

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
I think it would be cool to be able to mix a curly hair with a birdeater to get a giant curly hair, but spiders arent dogs that can be mixed without issues unfortunately. In another world perhaps.

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
That's my 2 cents worth. Hybrids like mixed breed dogs and cats should be all adopted, never bred.
"Mixed breed" dogs aren't hybrids, unlike tarantula hybrids (which I agree is a terrible thing to do) both parents were the same species. You're comparing two completely different things.

Michael bradley

Arachnopeon
I think it would be cool to be able to mix a curly hair with a birdeater to get a giant curly hair, but spiders arent dogs that can be mixed without issues unfortunately. In another world perhaps.
Many moons ago when I was about 17 a friend of mines dad owned over 100 tarantulas infact the spare bedroom was dedicated to them! Well he actually called us up as was trying to breed a male curly hair with a salmon pink!! Needless to say it didn’t go well and that was the last of the curly hair and will never forget that moment :-(

Infact he tried to convince us that’s how they have sex to which my friend replied so does the salmon pink have sex with hoppers aswell :-/