Crocodile Hunter

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Phillip,
I'm guessing that the allergy to horses has something to do with the frequent use of antivenom? Is that true?

Atrax

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: It wasn't Agro that died.

Originally posted by Phillip
It was one of Agros mates that died and the oldest croc they had at the zoo.
Ahhh. The last time I was at his zoo he told a story of how they once tried to put a big female in with Agro for breeding (years ago) and they had got the sex wrong of the croc, it was another, younger male. Within a minute Agro had come up underneath the other male, grabbed him midsection and flung him over four meters into the air, breaking the younger males back, who died instantly.

I don't really have an opinion on Steve's shows as it's really the producers who decide what's good for the show, not Steve himself. If you ask any wildlife expert who works on TV about their shows, 99% of the time they would do the show differently. You only have to ask Rick West, Darrin Vernier, Rob Breene, Rob Raven or any other tarantula expert who does TV how the feel about what gets aired and they'll tell you the same. It's always the producers who decide what gets aired. It's all about ratings unfortunately.

Steve

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm going to go with Phillip on this one. O'Shea is a joke. That sickly looking guy that goes for semi-rare species acting like they haven't been seen in centuries.

And taking a bath with an Anaconda? heh.

I like Irwin. He might be a bit crazy, but his goal is help in conservation, which gains points with me.

I'm actually jealous of Steve (Nunn :p) I'd love to go to Austrailia and meet him or atleast visit his zoo.

And the Croc that died was Mary, I believe :p

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yup

Exactly right Atrax.

And yes I believe the female was indeed named Mary.

Phil

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: ><

oh...okay...neat lil' spider.

Originally posted by Vayu Son
Raveness,

Selenocosmia sp. found in australia are known to have a higher toxicity of venom. Check out the bite report here.

-V

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Crocodile Hunter

lol.. I figured.. that's neat.

Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Yeah, I know him, though I wouldn't call him a friend or anything. The spider would have been Selenocosmia crassipes, definately more venomous than your average tarantula, but in no way potentially lethal.

Steve

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
oh he's just awesome..

I think he was supposed to be my husband..someone just forgot to tell him...;P

back long long ago before studying took over every second of my freetime, i used to love to watch his show...the only thing i didnt like was the talk of removing the feral pigs...rats, etc. Necessary but I don't like it.
His handling of the animals, dangerous or not is very admirable. I dont know if it is O'Shea or not who ducttapes the mouths of crocs, but I don't find that a very good way to do a show, especially after watching Irwin handle them with just his body.
My late husband enjoyed watching his shows also which says quite a bit because he usually only enjoyed the blood n guts gory shows...
...and how cool it must be to actually KNOW someone like that personally. *star-struck sigh*

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael

I'm actually jealous of Steve (Nunn :p) I'd love to go to Austrailia and meet him or atleast visit his zoo.
LOL, don't be jealous! Besides, he's just like you'd see him on TV in real life anyway. If he had to go to the store, he'd just say something like "Crickey, I've gotta get to the shop, and fast!", hands flailing, over emphasising, the whole deal. He's just like that.

Nice guy who takes the time to talk with anyone, he doesn't see himself as a bigtime star at all.

Steve

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Re: I beg to disagree

Originally posted by Brandon
Steve Irwin, I can’t really agree that he is a great Idol; quite frankly I don’t think he does anything for the herping hobby, + everything in his shows is mostly staged. He is great for laughs but not much else. Its people such as Mark O'shea that get my respect, first of all he is a real herpetologist/taxonomist. He goes out into the field and describes new species, unlike Irwin. And second of all none of his shows are staged, if he goes looking for something and doest find it, it doest go into the show. EX) on a show about searching for the lost camion, they didn’t find a camion, they still played the show with out the camion, now that’s real TV and real love for the hobby.

Sincerely,

Brandon
Sorry,
I think O'Shea is a joke. He sometimes manhandles animals and often doesn't present them in the best light. He's the only fool that I've ever seen try to pick up a stiletto snake free hand. An anaconda I saw him dig out looked drugged. The whole scene looked staged. At least most shows work to make an encounter look realistic. I personally only watch his shows to point out to my girlfriend what not to do in the field or when working with reps anywhere in general.
Mike

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is one of the few minutes that I just could not finish. It was absolutely terrible.

Jon