Critter hunting in Southern Utah

billrogers

Arachnoknight
I was not sure where to post this thread, but this seemed the best place...

I live in southern Utah and I am going to go critter hunting in some undeveloped land near me soon. My list of what I hope to find is as follows:
•Tarantulas
•Scorpions
•Jerusalem crickets
•Carabidae beetles
•Tenebrionidae Beetles
•Any other interesting desert species I can find

I know that scorpions are pretty common around here and I have a black light coming in the mail so I should not have any issues finding them, but I am not sure about the rest. Any tips or insight?

billrogers

Arachnoknight
I forgot to mention centipedes too! I would love to find one of the larger centipede species.

billrogers

Arachnoknight
Yes just look don't keep them they're wild.
I respect your opinion, however I don't think it's bad to catch specimens as long as you are responsible and only take responsible amounts. If you take a ton of any species, that could be very bad. I don't expect or want to find and catch everything I listed, those are just possibilities and interesting animals that live where I do that would make interesting pets.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Carabids and tenebrionids should be easy to find if you flip rocks/logs. Might get lucky and find some solfugids and scorps that way too! For T's, you'd have best luck finding their burrows and trying to lure them out by tickling their trip wires to make them think prey is outside. I don't know much about Jerusalem crickets unfortunately, so I can't really help you with that one.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
A good trick to catch both Tenebrionids and Jerusalem crickets is to lay oat trails in prime habitat, and inspect the trails at night. Chances are you'll find a lot of cool beetles and orthopterans using that method.

You should have plenty of cool darklings in your area, including the amazing Eleodes caudiferus. Make sure to post pictures of any Tenebs you find!

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I forgot to mention centipedes too! I would love to find one of the larger centipede species.
I have found Scolopendra polymorpha in southern Utah. In fact, judging by the fact that others have collected that species in Idaho, Colorado, and Oregon, it is probably found in most desert areas of the state. I hope to go on a trip similar to yours soon. I live in northern Utah, but I hope to travel into the south. Best of luck on your expedition!

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
If you come across any millipedes in your expedition, please collect them either for yourself or for trade. :angelic:

billrogers

Arachnoknight
My dad and I hiked to the top of a mountain/hill right next to us and I was flipping rocks and stuff the whole way, but the only thing I found was this baby solfugid (I'm sorry it's blurry, he would not hold still. What's the growth rate on these guys?
image.jpeg

I saw a TON of ants and termites though. And we saw this adorable baby horned toad lizard
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

We also saw a ton of burrows that looked like this. Are possibly from tarantulas?
image.jpeg image.jpeg

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
What kinds of millipedes are you talking about. I'll keep my eye out ;)
Any that you find! :D It doesn't look like there are many species in the area -- maybe a few Julids and then the following are all that I know of:

Tylobolus utahensis

Colactis utorum
I could not find a photo of the species, but they are relatively small (probably 1-2 inches long) crested millipedes that probably look similar to this member of the same family:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
My dad and I hiked to the top of a mountain/hill right next to us and I was flipping rocks and stuff the whole way, but the only thing I found was this baby solfugid (I'm sorry it's blurry, he would not hold still. What's the growth rate on these guys?
View attachment 216873

I saw a TON of ants and termites though. And we saw this adorable baby horned toad lizard
View attachment 216875
View attachment 216879

We also saw a ton of burrows that looked like this. Are possibly from tarantulas?
View attachment 216882 View attachment 216883
I'm wondering about those holes too, there are tons around my area. Doubt they are t holes though. Anyone know?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I'm wondering about those holes too, there are tons around my area. Doubt they are t holes though. Anyone know?
Gopher or mouse holes? Got those type of holes up here too, especially in the scrubland areas, I assume it's some sort of rodent burrow.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Gopher or mouse holes? Got those type of holes up here too, especially in the scrubland areas, I assume it's some sort of rodent burrow.
Hm, probably. How would you differentiate t burrows and rodent holes? Webbing?

billrogers

Arachnoknight
I have no idea, though I assume there would be a lot of webbing along the walls and around the entrance if it was a T hole.
A bunch of these holes have light webbing. I don't think it's t webbing though. It looks more like a true spider spun some light webbing over an abandon burrow. Some of my neighbors say they see ts pretty often around here.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
A bunch of these holes have light webbing. I don't think it's t webbing though. It looks more like a true spider spun some light webbing over an abandon burrow. Some of my neighbors say they see ts pretty often around here.
It could be a t. Try using a long blade of grass or something and see if you can tempt something out, next time you see one.

billrogers

Arachnoknight
It could be a t. Try using a long blade of grass or something and see if you can tempt something out, next time you see one.
I poked at one a bit without anything happeneding. I need to go back after dark to check.

Do you just slide a blade of grass back and forth as far as it will reach?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I poked at one a bit without anything happeneding. I need to go back after dark to check.

Do you just slide a blade of grass back and forth as far as it will reach?
Yeah that's how to do it. I'd try it for 30 seconds to 1 minute.