Critter hunting in Southern Utah

billrogers

Arachnoknight
sooooo... does anyone have any info on the growth rate for solfugids? Because the one in found is tiny, and if their growth rate rate is too slow I might just let him go and try to find a larger one.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
sooooo... does anyone have any info on the growth rate for solfugids? Because the one in found is tiny, and if their growth rate rate is too slow I might just let him go and try to find a larger one.
Well, I'm not sure on growth rate, but solfugids do horrible in captivity and usually die before their first molt. It's really sad cuz I'd love to own some.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Fast, really fast. These guys have a really fast metabolism and seem to have short lifespans even in the wild. Like @BobBarley said, they dopoorly in captivity, so don't be too surprised if it dies on you before maturing.

Andy00

Arachnoknight
On the other hand, I have a solifugid that is gravid and I'll probably have hundreds of little babies in no time.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
On the other hand, I have a solifugid that is gravid and I'll probably have hundreds of little babies in no time.
Lots of people get gravid wild caught Solifugids, and almost none of them are successful in breeding them. Getting the female to lay eggs, and then rearing those hatchlings to adulthood can be incredibly hard. I wish you luck though, let us know how yours does! :)

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Lots of people get gravid wild caught Solifugids, and almost none of them are successful in breeding them. Getting the female to lay eggs, and then rearing those hatchlings to adulthood can be incredibly hard. I wish you luck though, let us know how yours does! :)
Someone, I think @Philth managed to get baby solfugids. I remember hearing about someone keeping one for over a few years, and getting it to molt, just people feed them on too fast of a schedule, speeding up their death.

Andy00

Arachnoknight
Mine only ate one b lat when I first got it. I think they seal themselves off in a burrow and lay the eggs and don't eat for a few weeks. Sometimes they die because of that. If I get any babies I'll release 90% or more to the same place I found this one

billrogers

Arachnoknight
My family is leaving town for the rest of the week so I'll just pop an injured baby dubia in there with it and hope it eats.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
No, That wasn't me. I don't work with solfugids.

Later, Tom

billrogers

Arachnoknight
Time for an update!

My family was out of town for most of a week, and when we got back the baby solfugid had died.

Today look what was roaming in my house!!
image.jpeg

I hiked up a mountain looking for these guys and one decides to show up when I'm in bed!!! What's up with this?? I'm just happy to have found him. Hopefully he will live longer for me that is usually the case.

Do solfugids like humidity or do they prefer bone dry?

billrogers

Arachnoknight
Time for an update!

My family was out of town for most of a week, and when we got back the baby solfugid had died.

Today look what was roaming in my house!!
View attachment 217702

I hiked up a mountain looking for these guys and one decides to show up when I'm in bed!!! What's up with this?? I'm just happy to have found him. Hopefully he will live longer for me that is usually the case.

Do solfugids like humidity or do they prefer bone dry?
Well... It died after a night or two. These things really are fragile