Critique, tips and suggestions for the quality of photos

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
F stop is NEVER on the lens. The camera adjusts that so google the manual.
Lol dude have you ever shot with real glass and older lenses? Never….? All the lenses I use and have an adjustable aperture ring on them. If your buying modern lenses no it’s not on them, but that’s how they’ve been made for a looongggg time. All the lenses I have use, and buy, all have aperture rings. This is how lenses were made when you shot film, you set the film speed, adjusted shutter speed on the top of the camera, and any comps, and the f/stop was on the lense because that is where the aperture changes.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Lol dude have you ever shot with real glass and older lenses? Never….? All the lenses I use and have an adjustable aperture ring on them. If your buying modern lenses no it’s not on them, but that’s how they’ve been made for a looongggg time. All the lenses I have use, and buy, all have aperture rings. This is how lenses were made when you shot film, you set the film speed, adjusted shutter speed on the top of the camera, and any comps, and the f/stop was on the lense because that is where the aperture changes.
No. I didn't buy my first camera until 2016. So wind your neck in a tad.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
No. I didn't buy my first camera until 2016. So wind your neck in a tad.
Well perhaps that came across completely unintended, sorry man my bad. I re read it and it sounded pretty jerky. Not intended! Was t trying to call you out aggressively I think it just came across that way!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@basin79 cheers! this is how lenses were made for most of the scope of photography in some shape or another. if you ever wanted to shoot film you’d need a lens that had an aperture ring on the lense. I still shoot film so I use lenses like this for difital and film That’s the great aspect of Nikon for me that there interplay and you don’t need an entire new set of lenses to switch between the two! 6277D973-2116-418A-8B67-7CA545BB5D45.jpeg

basin79

ArachnoGod
@basin79 cheers! this is how lenses were made for most of the scope of photography in some shape or another. if you ever wanted to shoot film you’d need a lens that had an aperture ring on the lense. I still shoot film so I use lenses like this for difital and film That’s the great aspect of Nikon for me that there interplay and you don’t need an entire new set of lenses to switch between the two! View attachment 394527
That's smart. I like the idea of manually selecting the fstop. Well manually on the lens rather than on a dial like it is on my camera. Although being able to just rotate that dial is handy.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
That's smart. I like the idea of manually selecting the fstop. Well manually on the lens rather than on a dial like it is on my camera. Although being able to just rotate that dial is handy.
I have always found it to be slightly more intuitive and ergonomic setting the aperture on the lens than on a dial. Your hand is right there on the lens to stabilize already and adjusting exposure by aperture is a simple click stop adjustment with the same hand and then focus with the same hand. But the dials on modern cameras work too

I highly recommend you at least try out shooting film, It will increase your skill in taking images! Is there a barrier to shooting film for you?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have always found it to be slightly more intuitive and ergonomic setting the aperture on the lens than on a dial. Your hand is right there on the lens to stabilize already and adjusting exposure by aperture is a simple click stop adjustment with the same hand and then focus with the same hand. But the dials on modern cameras work too

I highly recommend you at least try out shooting film, It will increase your skill in taking images! Is there a barrier to shooting film for you?
Do you mean using my camera to record a video as in film or literally using a film in a camera before digital was a thing?

If you mean literally use a film and get it processed then yes there's a huge barrier. It's not efficient. It's expensive. It's time consuming and you can't edit.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Do you mean using my camera to record a video as in film or literally using a film in a camera before digital was a thing?

If you mean literally use a film and get it processed then yes there's a huge barrier. It's not efficient. It's expensive. It's time consuming and you can't edit.
Film as in a roll of film: Analog.

Its not necessarily inefficient or time consuming to actually shoot it, especially if you send it out to be developed with color. There is time invested in your are processing black and white in a darkroom but you can edit parts and change only portions of images exposure, change contrast etc,, with chemicals and when enlarging, its just not editing by moving a slide to one side or another in a computer. But there is processing and post processing.
I think it would help you improve your photography, it has that ability to improve anyone's as it forces one to slow down and really think about how one is going to take the correct shot with the right exposure settings.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@basin79 I just created a thread for film so this doesn't get further off track if you wanted to discuss it any more

basin79

ArachnoGod
Film as in a roll of film: Analog.

Its not necessarily inefficient or time consuming to actually shoot it, especially if you send it out to be developed with color. There is time invested in your are processing black and white in a darkroom but you can edit parts and change only portions of images exposure, change contrast etc,, with chemicals and when enlarging, its just not editing by moving a slide to one side or another in a computer. But there is processing and post processing.
I think it would help you improve your photography, it has that ability to improve anyone's as it forces one to slow down and really think about how one is going to take the correct shot with the right exposure settings.
That definitely isn't for me. I literally would just not take pics doing that. I like to experiment and see the results almost instantly. Would this look better at f5.6 than f16? I can literally just take 2 pics. Or 5 pics to get the exposure bob on. I'm the same with editing. I'll spend about 3 mins editing a pic. Was conversing with someone on insta and they spent over 40 mins editing a single shot. That to me just isn't fun. I really enjoy editing but not like that.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
I use a Nikon D3200 digital body and old film lenses on it. I just set the camera to manual and it's the best of both worlds; full control of everything with the instant feedback of digital. The key is Nikon used their F mount for decades, other manufacturers may vary.
If I miss a shot or two who cares? It's not how I make my living. An added benefit is it forces me to learn how to actually work a camera by using manual, and if I get a good picture (just because I love it doesn't mean I don't suck at it) I can say I took the picture, not the camera.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I use a Nikon D3200 digital body and old film lenses on it. I just set the camera to manual and it's the best of both worlds; full control of everything with the instant feedback of digital. The key is Nikon used their F mount for decades, other manufacturers may vary.
If I miss a shot or two who cares? It's not how I make my living. An added benefit is it forces me to learn how to actually work a camera by using manual, and if I get a good picture (just because I love it doesn't mean I don't suck at it) I can say I took the picture, not the camera.
Oh I shoot in manual. No chance I'm having the camera decide for me. Manual focus and manual settings.