Cringy tarantula videos

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Good points.

Just wanted to add that feeder mice are pricy. 2 bucks apiece I think. some hornworms get huge and are much cheaper.
Larger mice simply should be fed for the risk of harming the spider.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
And please note: I said live vertebrates. Most of these points do not apply for prekilled vertebrates.
I feel the same exact way. Feed as many frozen mice, lizards, fish, whatever as you'd like. But feeding live vertebrates simply amounts to a vertebrate suffering complete agony for your entertainment. It's not like the tarantula ever thinks to itself: "Invertebrate? For dinner? Again??? Meh wish I had a live mouse."

Grace Cannell

Arachnosquire
Well, I know this is a thread about videos but since we are on the topic: I am very strongly against feeding life vertebrates.

Reasons:
1. Vertebrates have a much more complex nervous system and we know they can feel pain - intense pain.
2. Depending on tarantula species it can take a painfully long time of pain until the vertebrate is actually dead.
3. A vertebrate is able to be afraid and will fear death.
4. A vertebrate will very likely be very afraid through all the events before it finally ends in the tarantula cage - possibly capture, transport, etc.
(5. Factory farming of feeder mice and rats is just as horrible as any factory farming. - Not always applicable)
6. It is absolutely not necessary and instead dangerous for the tarantula.
7. And about the nature argument: Yes it happens in nature but my living room is my living room and a tarantula cage is not nature.

Sorry, I feel strongly about this.

And please note: I said live vertebrates. Most of these points do not apply for prekilled vertebrates.
Couldn't agree with this more. You put it a lot better than I did.

It's not like the tarantula ever thinks to itself: "Invertebrate? For dinner? Again??? Meh wish I had a live mouse."
Haha! This made me giggle. Do you mean to tell me I don't need to offer my T's a choice of condiments to go with their meals, just to jazz things up? ;)

Grace Cannell

Arachnosquire
Ouch?
You know, during my army time my platoon leader used to say: "There are days you lose and days the others win." :astonished:
I am not sure if you interpreted my reply as sarcasm or not. If you did, I was being genuine :) other than work I haven't seen a lot of day light or contact with people, my T's have a better social life than I at the moment, what with a looming deadline for my dissertation. Although I do like that saying, I shall have to remember it.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I once stumbled across a youtube video of a L. klugi being fed a live bird (parakeet or something similar.)

I will not link it here because I cannot unsee it, and I wish I could. I won't subject your brain to it too. :(

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
I found a video of a mouse feeding. But before the rodent died it managed to injure the Tarantula. Im not sharing because its a terrible one.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Uh, this isn't a video; but I came across this gem while searching for images of a true spider. Not sure why this pic was featured in the search, but here we have some brilliant person breeding Ts (C. versicolor?)...on his hand. :banghead::rolleyes:

idiot2.jpg

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Uh, this isn't a video; but I came across this gem while searching for images of a true spider. Not sure why this pic was featured in the search, but here we have some brilliant person breeding Ts (C. versicolor?)...on his hand. :banghead::rolleyes:

View attachment 251343
Christ here on this pic the real (venomous) deal are those nails: not even those Trolls and Ogres of the swamps, ah ah :writer:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I don't even feed live mice to my rat-snale.

I was talking to a fellow who has a ball python. I remarked that if he wished, I could order him some frozen mice next time I ordered some. (Which would be awhile, I ordered 26 last time which at one per week is around a six-month supply) and he said "The snake won't accept pre-killed. Now, I don't know that much about keeping ball pythons and I know they can be rather fussy about eating, but I know how long he has had the snake and I suspect that he didn't try very hard to get it to accept pre-killed before deciding that the snake has to consume live. There are tricks to help encourage them to eat pre-killed that I would try first.
But, there is absolutely no excuse I can accept for feeding live vertebrates to a tarantula. As far as I know, there are no documented benefits, and plus for all the reasons boina listed just makes it seem mainly a thrill-seeing exercise.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +

Thankfully it all turned out okay, and it's a very important informative video, but my heart dropped as soon as she fell. I don't want to look for real fatal fall videos (and I know no one wants to see them), so this is all you're getting

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Well, I know this is a thread about videos but since we are on the topic: I am very strongly against feeding life vertebrates.
Ethical issues aside, that bolus would be horrific. I wouldn't want the visuals, the stench, or the unsanitary conditions in any of my enclosures.

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
I don't feed my Ts vertebrates for many reasons. Luckily there is plenty of different feeder invertebrates to give our beloved Ts some variety. One of the cringy youtube videos I saw recently was someone who paired a versicolor (I think?) And a rosea (possibly?). I could be wrong on what he paired, but they were Def two very different species.

MacDrachma

Arachnopeon
Glad to see none of my videos here. Although, my 'hati hati' rehouse sure was pretty cringy as it happened. :anxious: