Crime Scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So tonight i go into one of my Tarantula closets and see my Cambridgei with his fangs in an anole's eyes all the while the anole is struggling to get free. As you can see from this pictures the anole decided to hang around after all lol. If you look real close at one of the pictures you can see both fangs one grippin the eye socket area and one directly next to it. I even noticed my Cambridgei trying to mount the anole on the wall in silk but the anole was too heavy lol. Enjoy

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wait so you fed him that because you wanted to or because it was an accident? I am kinda confused.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wait so you fed him that because you wanted to or because it was an accident? I am kinda confused.
Oh no just to vary the diet of a few of my T's he was the only one i actually got to see eat it. the rest ate theirs in the hide and tomorrow im going back to crickets. feed crickets to the rest of my T's. So on purpose. next week I'll be doing roaches then frogs

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Interesting. Let me know if you see any sort of difference in heath compared to just feeding roaches. I am curious if you will notice any measurable change.
I got a nickel that says there is no difference, but hey variety never hurts.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh there probably wont be any difference i'm jusy trying to get a nature show out of this lol....these guys are very interesting when put to the food test when the prey is bigger than crickets. i love when they use most of their legs to eat and manage prey...

does anyone know why they have 8 legs for any way?... im sure they can climb wall just fine with four legs no? lol..

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Me being a reptile lover really hate this kind of stuff, I mean why not something else like a mouse? I agree with talkenlate I don't think the T's health is going to change one bit.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Me being a reptile lover really hate this kind of stuff, I mean why not something else like a mouse? I agree with talkenlate I don't think the T's health is going to change one bit.
last time i checked a tarantula is more likely to come upon a lizard than a mouse..so in my opinion a lizard is more closer to normal than a mouse would be and not only that a cambridgei at the size mine is and the tank i have it in...its not gonna stand a chance with a mouse.....thats more risky..also when you feed mice i was told (or I read on this board anyway) that causes molt problems IE Brittle fangs when break off during a molt and so on.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
but then a mouse lover would come in and complain.{D

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my only concern would be the fangs..but like you said, a reptile is more in tune with its natural prey then say a mouse would be..well for this species anyway, well actually maybe a bird.....:eek: o wait i might give you ideas....

but do understand when prey is that size, it will want to fight back...unlike roaches or crickets..... a lizard might take the offensive and i would hate one of my t's losing a limb because i wanted a front row show of nature...but i liked it lol....

ps.... i only feed items like this to my breeding females...IE....frogs, pinkies or lizards. otherwise like stated several times above it really doesn't do anything for the t then say a roach would...

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your T would easily take a small mouse, I just think that a varied diet such a lizards is not going to change anything. Its your T you can feed it a dog for all I care, thats my two cents.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really think that the 'nature' reason is really stupid. Your T IS NOT in the wild, so that excuse can't work. Don't get me wrong here, I really couldn't care less what you wanted to feed your T, but putting in a Lizard is a gamble. It could have bitten off a limb of your T. Yes, it might be cool to watch and I will even admit that some of the vids on youtube with T's taking out bigger prey is really awesome. I just personally would never want to take the chance. If the lizard was half the size, I don't think there would've been as much to worry about.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He's trying to recreate the T's natural Diet. But do you even know if anoles exist in venezuela? T's can potentially die from a lizard or rodent bite, its the same thing with snakes.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He's trying to recreate the T's natural Diet. But do you even know if anoles exist in venezuela? T's can potentially die from a lizard or rodent bite, its the same thing with snakes.
Trinidad isn't in Venezuela lol its in the Caribbean...there is a lizard there much like anoles.... Anolis sagrei or brown anole so yeah it would probably eat these guys in the wild....just playing the devils advocate

Last edited:

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Trinidad isn't in Venezuela lol its in the Caribbean...there is a lizard there much like anoles.... Anolis sagrei or brown anole so yeah it would probably eat these guys in the wild....just playing the devils advocate

Some of yall have said that an anole can bite off a limb...Their teeth arent as sharp as some of you may think and not only that Tarantulas have all these legs so they won't have a hard tme controlling an anole. I'd NEVER try to feed my tarantulas (regardless of the size of my Tarantula) an iguana of any size because they have the worse attitudes and they have a really strong tail. When i give my tarantulas anole and other animals I give them to to each T based on the size of the T and the anole. And anoles in my opinion don't have enough bite pressure to break off limbs unless the anole is bigger than the tarantula but other wise a hungry tarantula with eight legs isn't going to let a lizard 1/4 its size with only four legs going to let a lizard bite it. I'd never give an anole to a sling. so any Tarantula of mine that I give an anole to he/ she is at a good size. so the ones I give anoles to are my cambridgei, Curly hair, OBT, and N vulpinus because they all could easily cover most of my hand if they had their legs completely spread out. and most of them have had at least 2 - 3 molts with me and I got some of them as juveniles. I'd also never give my Tarantulas skinks because they seem (from my eyes anyway) to have a hard exterior and I'd never feed any lizard that looks like it might have an armor type exterior to it like a bearded dragon even a baby one. So in a sense I do take precautions. I have also thought about trying a parakeet with one or two of my Tarantulas so when/ if I do that I'll let yall know the outcome of it.

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually trinidad boarders the atlantic ocean and the caribbbean sea and is 8 miles off the coast of Venezuela. :)

Wade

Last edited:

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think feeding live animals (lizards, mice etc) is disgusting anyway...

And it'll start a big debate i know, but i dont c the point when there is all the frozen types available...

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I usually do not comment on choice of diet but those pics are sad :mad: .

Glad you enjoyed watching it try to get away while it was still alive with fangs through it eyes :? . Sounds fun. And you know what that Anole would have a chance in the wild not in a little plastic box going against a predator it knows nothing about. I’m tired of people saying “well in the wild” They are NOT in the wild.……. Crickets or roaches are all they no need. There is no reason to torture anoles and mice and so on………………………………………..Just woke up still a little grumpy :eek: I'll go get my coffee :cool:

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think feeding live animals (lizards, mice etc) is disgusting anyway...

And it'll start a big debate i know, but i dont c the point when there is all the frozen types available...
Well if you have the time, then come here and tell that to my T´s, they wont take dead food. So you mean i just need to starve them then???

Status
Not open for further replies.