Crickets

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
anyone know where i can get good deals on crickets?
Um, I'm pretty sure there is a reputable dealer on these boards selling good crickets. Go to the search function type in crickets and choose to search under the for sale/trade section only.

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ah that is true! I owned roaches once, and no longer do, so I tend to overlook them.
do you use crickets now? I just got some Blatta lateralis, and my Ts love them.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
do you use crickets now? I just got some Blatta lateralis, and my Ts love them.
When I first started out with Ts, I always used crickets, and then I went to roaches for awhile. I got lobster roaches(forgot sceintific name), and they weren't the best for my inverts; didn't grow as big as I thought, climbed, burrowed, and some Ts just didn't like em. Now for the past few months I've been back on crickets, which is fine, but I'm thinking about getting some of the species you got, B.lateralis, because I heard they were really good feeder roaches.

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so far with mine they are great, people don't like them cuz they are fast and smell... well they are a little fast but no faster the crickets, and for the smell... its not that bad you can't even really smell it. as for food my ts love them, they only get a little bigger the crickets. good luck.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi can you get locusts as i feed them only to all my ( t ) crickets are evil {D lol and roaches are :eek: are a no no over here and my ( t ) love the locusts and i all ways cut the back legs off to stop them going up the tank or k.k. ect %%% phil

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Ordering over the internet is probably the cheapest you can get, next to breeding them yourself.

Better would be starting a roach colony, more expensive at first, but ultimately free.

-Sean

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ordering over the internet is probably the cheapest you can get, next to breeding them yourself.

Better would be starting a roach colony, more expensive at first, but ultimately free.

-Sean

He's right u should search in Internet, there are many good dealers & is cheaper.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
...but I'm thinking about getting some of the species you got, B.lateralis, because I heard they were really good feeder roaches.
they work great for my slings. too fast for some of my adult T's.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
b. lateralis(fast) or b. dubia(burrow). neither one has a bad odor or climb smooth surfaces. b. lats breed REALLY fast.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dubia

I'm a B. dubia fan, but I mostly have terrestrial T's. Someone (can't remember who:wall: ) brought up a good point about them not being the best for arborials d/t their tendency to burrow if they don't get tagged right away. I also enjoy the crunchy sound of something named dubia (sorry George) in the fangs of a hungry T. Who knew roaches could be so politically satisfying. (let the flaming begin lol)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have 15 or so adult and sub adult pokies now and I put the dubia on the bark I have in the tank. I see them walking on it all the time and they are not in the dirt hiding. This morning when I left both my Regalis females were eating big dubia's.
I have not had any trouble yet.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmm

Maybe you have the non-burrowing strain! Mine are in the dirt in a heartbeat if they're not eaten. I wonder if it makes a difference in size? I'm mostly feeding large nymphs and not fully adult roaches. Do you think the nymphs might be bigger burrowers than the adults?