Crickets - Roaches

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are roaches more healthier as far as wanting your tarantulas to grow faster because I think when you put a roach and a cricket next to each other (at the same instar) the roach is always going to be bigger..so wouldnt that mean that the roach as more body as food to offer than a cricket does...or am i seeing this all in the wrong way? cause roaches as adults are much clearly bigger than crickets as adults..but i dont think this is with all roaches though..

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
nutrition isnt really going to be based on the size of the feeder as you can feed 2 crix or 1 roach ... and i dont know if anyone ever has done a nutritional break down based on mg of nutrients per gram of bug...
But i think the MAJOR advantage of roaches over crix is that you dont have crix anymore lol they smell lol

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i don't think anybody actually knows which of the invert foods is best for Ts. I think it's reasonable to assume that some variety is good though. I.e. not just cricks all the time.

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I Believe that James from http://www.blaberus.com/ is underway some type of nutritional research. I know that roaches are definatly meatier than a cricket.
And I have raised plenty of Bearded dragons on roaches and they grow faster than babies raised on crix.:D But the key to the best nutrition we can provide is to use a variety of feeders in my opinion.

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wouldn't another important factor be the foods fed to the feeder insect?

I am guessing that a poorly fed roach or cricket would lack various nutritional values...?

Just a guess tho...

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wouldn't another important factor be the foods fed to the feeder insect?

I am guessing that a poorly fed roach or cricket would lack various nutritional values...?

Just a guess tho...
you are what you eat so yeah id say thats right

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i've also noticed my T's eat roaches(b. lats) ALOT faster than crickets. when they eat crickets, it takes them a while to get it all down. roaches are like pudding. :D

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I always heard and saw that roaches had more meat and more protien then crickets and that there is not as much waste because the crickets have a much harder shell.

AmazingInverts

Arachnopeon
I have always fed my T's crickets but given the chance to buy roaches locally I would. I don't think there is any food that is going to act like steroids for spiders but why not do like heather said and feed the crickets. I feed all my crickets a low grade cat food and make sure they are hydrated before feeding them to your spiders. After all, what you put into your crickets will go into your spiders! But i'm sure you already knew that ;) .

-Will

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think that Roaches are better 'cause they're bigger than crickets but you would give to your T's a variety of feeders, you can use worms too. {D