Crickets hatching in the T tank

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Argh! I've got teeny tiny baby crickets crawling out from under the water dish in my adult smithi's tank. What to do?
I'd try to scoop them out but they're already all over the place. I'm pretty sure the T won't be eating them as they're just way too small. Should i catch a little house spider and throw it in there? Wait for them to get bigger then feed them to my slings? Pitch the substrate and start over? Burn the whole house down?

I don't think they could hurt the T but you never know. There could be a hundred in there. How many eggs do crickets lay anyway?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Argh! I've got teeny tiny baby crickets crawling out from under the water dish in my adult smithi's tank. What to do?
I'd try to scoop them out but they're already all over the place. I'm pretty sure the T won't be eating them as they're just way too small. Should i catch a little house spider and throw it in there? Wait for them to get bigger then feed them to my slings? Pitch the substrate and start over? Burn the whole house down?

I don't think they could hurt the T but you never know. There could be a hundred in there. How many eggs do crickets lay anyway?

Heres the easy way to get rid of them, dry the tank(which it should already be since it's a smithi) and then fill the waterdish up and make it level with the substrate so the little crickets can jump in it and drown. They'll all be dead in a matter of hours/days.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks Novak. I just set the water dish in there like you said and one is already swimming in it. The substrate's still a little moist for a smithi but drying by the day. I hope this doesn't discourage them from diving in.

Nice move on the 30 second response by the way.

malowie

Arachnopeon
if the tank is small, u can change the whole substrate if you want to but novak's idea is perfectly fine. dont burn the whole tank lol!!!!!!!!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, this morning there were about ten crix face down in the water so it seems to be working just fine.
It's a 5gal pretty full w/ substrate so i'll pass on the refill if i can. This poor girl has been through enough already with her recent rehousing, mold outbreak w/ subsequent cleanup and now these damn crix. When i set her new tank up i guess the substrate i used was a little more moist than i realized so it's still drying. She doesn't like it but it will sort itself out w/ lots of ventilation.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks Novak. I just set the water dish in there like you said and one is already swimming in it. The substrate's still a little moist for a smithi but drying by the day. I hope this doesn't discourage them from diving in.

Nice move on the 30 second response by the way.
Well, this morning there were about ten crix face down in the water so it seems to be working just fine.
It's a 5gal pretty full w/ substrate so i'll pass on the refill if i can. This poor girl has been through enough already with her recent rehousing, mold outbreak w/ subsequent cleanup and now these damn crix. When i set her new tank up i guess the substrate i used was a little more moist than i realized so it's still drying. She doesn't like it but it will sort itself out w/ lots of ventilation.
They should all be gone within the next couple of days. Good thing crickets are so stupid lol. No problem on the quick response, I know how it is waiting for responses and not getting them so I try to answer as fast as I can and when I can.