Crickets escaped

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not good. I was sat on the floor with my crickets, I get up to grab a spray bottle to give them some water. In doing so I knock over my own water. So I dash towards my electric adapter to move them out the way then get up again to grab a towel. I then knock over my crickets doing so and now I've had god knows how many escapes, It's not my day lol. On one hand I've provided my cat I'm sure with endless entertainment on the other I've probably got a fair few crickets roaming around. Oh dear, this hobby is always a thrill lol.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Worst nightmare. I hate crickets. I refuse to buy them most of the time, and if I do it's like 5-10 tiny ones for slings.

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
Crickets are the absolute worst, that's why I either you dubias or red runners (red runners especially good because the babies are small and they are soft bodied)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Oh yeah I did this with a roach colony......and you are right it sure is always a thrill!! ;) Good luck finding them all!!

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Well the good news is you'll probably be more organized and better prepared next time :)

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
we have crickets in our yard and under our house. So if one escapes it probably finds some buddies

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I learned to work with the crickets in my garage so they don’t go into my room. I learned this after having multiple escapes. If you catch them, just remember not to feed them. If my frog stops taking crickets, I will gladly switch to an roach diet with worms every once in a while

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Oh yeah I did this with a roach colony......and you are right it sure is always a thrill!! ;) Good luck finding them all!!
Hopefully it was dubias and not red runners! Dubias reek when they die though 🤢

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
When I was in college I brought home a bunch of crix in a goldfish bag from the petstore, tossed them on my bed and forgot about them. Went over to my BF's place. When I got back my roommate was like WHAT HAVE YOU DONE because apparently they chewed through the bag and were ALL OVER our apartment... oops. Took a good month before they all died off. Roommate was so understandably annoyed... Whoops.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Hopefully it was dubias and not red runners! Dubias reek when they die though 🤢
Dubias and hissers, mainly all nymphs lol. No I wouldn’t keep red runners in an apt I rented due to the risk, from what I had read.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Not good. I was sat on the floor with my crickets, I get up to grab a spray bottle to give them some water. In doing so I knock over my own water. So I dash towards my electric adapter to move them out the way then get up again to grab a towel. I then knock over my crickets doing so and now I've had god knows how many escapes, It's not my day lol. On one hand I've provided my cat I'm sure with endless entertainment on the other I've probably got a fair few crickets roaming around. Oh dear, this hobby is always a thrill lol.
Put some dog or cat food under a dark and warm place. They all will come in two hours. If you live in a mess... forget this tip

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Easy fix- let your Ts free roam for a few months

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It's over-exaggerated tbh, they reproduce at lower temps than dubia but it still needs to be pretty warm for them to do so.
Gotcha!! Yeah I just didn’t want to risk it ya know?? Better safe than sorry which for me, was a wise choice 🤣🤣🤣

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Gotcha!! Yeah I just didn’t want to risk it ya know?? Better safe than sorry which for me, was a wise choice 🤣🤣🤣
Yeah, that's fair enough, I had a load of nymphs escape over the summer a couple of years ago. Between the sticky traps I put down, lower temps, and dehydration none of them even got close to adulthood.

Rozwyrazowana

Arachnopeon
Dubias and hissers, mainly all nymphs lol. No I wouldn’t keep red runners in an apt I rented due to the risk, from what I had read.
I had around 10 red runners escape last November, about 4 I found dead laying on the floor just like that in the first week, another 4 were spotted hiding, lured out, and killed in the first two weeks. I thought that the remaining ones died somewhere out of sight, but my son spotted one in early January when he went to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Probably the same runner was spotted and killed by my husband a week later. The last one was found during remodeling our kitchen, hiding under a floor board. Only the bathroom and kitchen had hiding places where they could survive but we did complete remodeling of both in February, leaving bare concrete, so I'm sure there aren't more. None of the found runners were mature so the risk was not big. For now, I switched back to using mealworms as the preferred feeders.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I had around 10 red runners escape last November, about 4 I found dead laying on the floor just like that in the first week, another 4 were spotted hiding, lured out, and killed in the first two weeks. I thought that the remaining ones died somewhere out of sight, but my son spotted one in early January when he went to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Probably the same runner was spotted and killed by my husband a week later. The last one was found during remodeling our kitchen, hiding under a floor board. Only the bathroom and kitchen had hiding places where they could survive but we did complete remodeling of both in February, leaving bare concrete, so I'm sure there aren't more. None of the found runners were mature so the risk was not big. For now, I switched back to using mealworms as the preferred feeders.
Yeah that’s a pretty good while for those few to still remain alive....from my point of view, even with what Gyrm has said about the exaggerated risk, still seems like a good thing nothing like a pregnant female escaped! I have also switched to mealworms/super and crickets, and I really don’t mind, I just buy a few cups of mealworms whenever I stop my LPS, works just the same!