Crickets breeding in scorpion enclosure.

MiPHISTo

Arachnopeon
Crickets randomly breeding in scorpion enclosure.

Alright so, I've never posted here as I do not need advice on scorpion keeping due to personal research, and I hate to be a bother to the senior members, ANYWAYS. I turned my Emperor scorpion enclosure light off a few hours ago, and as I was about to go to sleep I got my flashlight which I use almost dead batteries in as to not disturb my scorpions, and noticed tiny white crickets crawling up from the Eco-Earth in their enclosure, so I'm guessing crickets are breeding SOMEWHERE in my tank, not going to bother finding out where, I just found it rather cool, as I'm expecting Emperor Scorpion babies soon as well, if this continues it would be rather helpful, didn't know if this was a common occurrence either, if it is, sorry for the useless thread :D (Just figured I'd post this here because maybe it's not common, and I found it somewhat interesting, also, I'm nervous about posting here since I'm new.)

Has anyone else had any animals breed in their enclosures? Isopods are common from what I've read, I just find it interesting what odd things may breed in enclosures with predators.

Last edited:

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's common for them to breed in enclosures and is something I don't like very much lol. Crickets grow pretty slowly, so it's doubtful they'll be lunch for your baby scorpions.
And yes, isopods often breed in forest enclosures which has been good for me.
And do use the search function (as you have), but don't be nervous to ask questions...
I've been reading quite a few posts with members stating that they're hesitant to ask questions and that just tells me something is terribly wrong--I hope we're headed in the right direction.

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Never in my Scorp enclosures, but in one of my old Terrariums that housed 1.2.0 Blue Phased White’s Tree Frog (Litoria caerulea) 0.0.3 Fire Bellied Toads Bombina orientalis, and a number of cheap little "feeder" fish in the water section, but I must have missed females dropping some eggs because before I knew it I had babies. but they were so small the frogs and toads payed them no attention and they grew and some of them managed to hide and breed and the cycle kept going but it never over populated and I didn't have to buy crickets!:worship:

MiPHISTo

Arachnopeon
It's common for them to breed in enclosures and is something I don't like very much lol. Crickets grow pretty slowly, so it's doubtful they'll be lunch for your baby scorpions.
And yes, isopods often breed in forest enclosures which has been good for me.
And do use the search function (as you have), but don't be nervous to ask questions...
I've been reading quite a few posts with members stating that they're hesitant to ask questions and that just tells me something is terribly wrong--I hope we're headed in the right direction.
Honestly after posting this, I felt like an idiot and wanted to delete this thread. :wall:

Also, I'm not really bothered to ASK questions, it's just I see some of the bashing some members do when someone immediately doesn't use the search function or asks a question asked before, plus I'm sure it can be a bother to senior members to answer every "My scorpion died, why?!" or "HELP My emperor's sick?!!!!!????" Thread, so I can see where they're coming from, if I had to answer every novice question on the forums I frequent, I'd probably be somewhat hateful towards new members as well.

Last edited:

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Honestly after posting this, I felt like an idiot and wanted to delete this thread. :wall:

Also, I'm not really bothered to ASK questions, it's just I see some of the bashing some members do when someone immediately doesn't use the search function or asks a question asked before, plus I'm sure it can be a bother to senior members to answer every "My scorpion died, why?!" or "HELP My emperor's sick?!!!!!????" Thread, so I can see where they're coming from, if I had to answer every novice question on the forums I frequent, I'd probably be somewhat hateful towards new members as well.
i dont do it as much anymore, but its because the topic of crickets laying eggs have popped up ALOT on this forum, yahoo answers, and other forums, many times.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=133856&highlight=crickets+eggs

the crickets laying eggs are common. they need heat and some dirt to do it, and they will. just remove the pinheads or send them to me :D

MiPHISTo

Arachnopeon
i dont do it as much anymore, but its because the topic of crickets laying eggs have popped up ALOT on this forum, yahoo answers, and other forums, many times.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=133856&highlight=crickets+eggs

the crickets laying eggs are common. they need heat and some dirt to do it, and they will. just remove the pinheads or send them to me :D
Figured it was something common, just found it interesting honestly, and it was probably.. 2 AM EST at the time I posted that, needless to say I was tired and rushed to do this without much thought, and nah if the Crickets continually get it to cycling (Which would be awesome..) it would be very helpful, as I can't have roaches in my house, and I'm expecting Baby Emps soon as well.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Figured it was something common, just found it interesting honestly, and it was probably.. 2 AM EST at the time I posted that, needless to say I was tired and rushed to do this without much thought, and nah if the Crickets continually get it to cycling (Which would be awesome..) it would be very helpful, as I can't have roaches in my house, and I'm expecting Baby Emps soon as well.
its okay :) I asked dumb questions too, as when i had my first molting, all my research failed me on what happens, except for some bad quality footage on youtube. i'm still learning new things, even though ive been playing with inverts and herps since i was 6 years old.

MiPHISTo

Arachnopeon
its okay :) I asked dumb questions too, as when i had my first molting, all my research failed me on what happens, except for some bad quality footage on youtube. i'm still learning new things, even though ive been playing with inverts and herps since i was 6 years old.
Nice, of all the animals which I've been interested in throughout my life to keep as a pet (Eels, Stingrays, Scorpions, Tarantulas, Frogs, etc.) Scorpions have just been able to hold my attention the most, they're so fascinating, and also, I don't intend to ask stupid questions, if I do however I apologize ahead of time. I'm generally independent when it comes to pet keeping, as to not bother other owners of the same thing, because I'm positive it becomes annoying to answer every stupid question.

Last edited:

Dessicaria

Arachnopeon
I got pinhead crickets in my Asian forest enclosure years ago. Unfortunately they never grew up to meal-size for the scorps.

For some reason I have a hard time keeping them alive in plastic bins, let alone getting them to breed, but there they were in the terrarium, laying eggs in the soil....

I'm new to the site too, but I don't think I'd mind so much if a beginner asks a question that's been asked a thousand times before. I'd rather see someone ask a question, get an answer, and get help for their pet, than be afraid to ask and have their animal die or have problems.

MiPHISTo

Arachnopeon
I got pinhead crickets in my Asian forest enclosure years ago. Unfortunately they never grew up to meal-size for the scorps.

For some reason I have a hard time keeping them alive in plastic bins, let alone getting them to breed, but there they were in the terrarium, laying eggs in the soil....

I'm new to the site too, but I don't think I'd mind so much if a beginner asks a question that's been asked a thousand times before. I'd rather see someone ask a question, get an answer, and get help for their pet, than be afraid to ask and have their animal die or have problems.
I agree 100% with this statement, it's just I go search and see questions asked before, that have outraged members posting in it that supply a link to the old question, it's true that maybe people should use the search function, but if senior members are so outraged and do such wouldn't that discourage people to join here, or maybe new members to report that have used the search function and seen this from members? Maybe that new member will discover some behavioral pattern in a scorpion that no one has ever seen before, who knows. (I'm not pointing fingers or naming anyone on this board that I've seen this from also.)

Last edited: