Crickets are really smart

CS2x

Arachnopeon
I know they're bastards, but you've gotta admit they're pretty smart...
...the way that that they immediately hide in something when you try and catch them, and REFUSE to come out...the way the immediately freeze when they feel they're about to pounced on (especially with my lizards)

etc..

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I dunno, I'd have to beg to differ.. I've watched them walk right in front of a moving tarantula and touch it with their antenae... only to have their pitiful, smelly lives ended.

Bill

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I agree. Many are the expletives while I'm trying to grab the accursed things from their plastic tub. They pop out of my hand, and bolt for the nearest dresser or vent. And invariably run amok until it's time to sleep, whereupon they like to crawl upon me at exactly 4:52am.

Or run directly under my bare feet while using the restroom.

Cricket? *crunch* What cricket?

bill

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ive noticed that storebought crickets are 10x sumber than wild caught ones i find in my garage. the store bought ones will walk up to my t's and feel it while the wild caught ones are very nervous and jumpy...basically, i think that store bough crickets have been bred to stupidity.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, just minutes ago, I witnessed several of them gleefully jump into the jaws of doom while feeding my T's.
I can see what you mean though CS2X. There are some seemingly "wiser" crix few and far between. :)

Atrax

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I Had a cric just kinda... crawl around my T's butt for alittle bit.. Stop..Stroll around some more..Then it stepped on my T's fangs.. and i swear i heard a little "Gulp.."

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heh a while ago I fed a cricket to chaco.

I blew on him and jumped right onto his carapace.
died half a second later.

Actually I would think store bought crickets would be stupid...

generations of inbreeding

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dang.........I must be the only one who gets smart crickets then......lolol.............when I toss them in, they don't get that close to the T, because when they do, they start to s l o w l y back away from the T & run in the other direction.

I have developed a habit of now tossing the cricket close to the T in order to get snatched.........it's as if the cricks sense the danger & try to get as far away as possible.......................................

The little stinky buggers also seem to have a memory of sorts because they, then, don't go back in the direction where the T is sitting, waiting for a meal.

Anyway........that has been my experience with the crickets I get:)

Maybe I feed the cricks too well & they get smarter? =D

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
There are a couple that freezes or do something else to avoid being eaten. I usually let those ones go. They deserved to be let go if they can survive in the tank with my T for an extended period of time. This doesn't include T's that are fasting.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Inbreeding is beneficial over time but devastating over short periods in humans at least. Im not sure how cricket genetics work.

-V

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with something Atrax said, there always seems to be one cricket in the bunch that knows whats going on. It's hella hard to catch and then when you put it in with your T it hides in the one place your spider doesn't have access to. I like to take these out and eat them myself hoping that I will gain some of it's knowledge (saw something like that in a horror movie once........it might be working 'cause I haven't been bit by a spider once)

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
I haven't seen any smart crickets. I mean come on, if you saw two of your buddies in the "fangs of death" wouldn't you stay as far away as possible? I hardly doubt you'd walk up to the spider and say hello. :rolleyes: No intelligence in the crickets here.

Leanne

Geoffrey2300

Arachnopeon
...the way that that they immediately hide in something when you try and catch them, and REFUSE to come out...the way the immediately freeze when they feel they're about to pounced on (especially with my lizards)

etc..
Like brain cells, crickets change which other crickets they are connected to. Neurons (brain cells) do this by changing which other neurons or axons their axons connect to, as a result of the electric and chemical patterns oscillating together or in different patterns. Crickets change which crickets they are connected to by flying to places they like the sounds of other crickets more. They become neurally connected to the other crickets some amount in how their neurons adjust to the local sounds of other crickets, so they start to make their oscillating sounds mostly in synchronization. Like brainwaves, the sounds of large groups of crickets flow in smooth waves and react to other waves depending on direction and timing and at least the recent history of waves in that location

Geoffrey2300

Arachnopeon

etc..

Geoffrey2300

Arachnopeon
Did you know that males are chivalrous enough to lay their lives down for their lovers can be found even among crickets, scientists now reveal.

etc..

Geoffrey2300

Arachnopeon
Not to dumb, did you know that males are chivalrous enough to lay their lives down for their lovers can be found even among crickets, scientists now reveal. It is interesting that their brain cells, crickets change which other crickets they are connected to. Neurons (brain cells) do this by changing which other neurons or axons their axons connect to, as a result of the electric and chemical patterns oscillating together or in different patterns. Crickets change which crickets they are connected to by flying to places they like the sounds of other crickets more. They become neurally connected to the other crickets some amount in how their neurons adjust to the local sounds of other crickets, so they start to make their oscillating sounds mostly in synchronization. Like brainwaves, the sounds of large groups of crickets flow in smooth waves and react to other waves depending on direction and timing and at least the recent history of waves in that location. Also if you count the number of chirps they make in 14 seconds, at 40, this will give you the exact temperature in Fahrenheit, a scientific fact.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
I have watched every cricket I've ever fed my b vagans sling make a worm up lap and then head right down his burrow to come face to face with a very unforgiving and brutal end the part I like most is when they get in the burrow they pause like oops and then try to boalt back out but its always to late you could almost hear the. Scream O **** and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh then done T has him and its over smart no irratating yes :)

Ryuti

Arachnopeon
I can't call crickets smart when they drown in a cap of water and climb on my lizards.