Crickets are really smart

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How do you explain their high suicide rate? Those suckers feel the water with their antenna, they touch it with their legs, then they're floating in it the next day. :shifty:

DarkShadow

Arachnopeon
Having basic knowledge on how to try to survive I don't think equates with them being 'smart.'

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
One time I was making cricket/meal worm chopped salads for my scorplings I had a very interesting and unnerving experience with a cricket. I went to crush one of their heads and it's entire head just came off. There was just the mushroom cluster hanging there, flopping about connected to the body. So this headless cricket hopped away from the chopping block and proceeded to evade me quite a bit. The only way to stop it was to disconnect. Pretty gnarly.

Another time, one escaped the cricket colony and hid in all the places I couldn't find. A week went by of sleepless nights due to his incessant chirping. The night finally came when I caught him out. He stopped dead in his tracks as if he thought to himself "oh frass". I swear we made eye contact and simultaneous acknowledgement of each other's exposed presence. This story ends with a wall and something Nolan Ryan would be impressed with.

Solsurfer

Solsurfer
Ive noticed the longer they are in my cricket tank the better they are at evading my catching technique. Which is just me catching them in a pill bottle but they do seem to learn what im doing and how to avoid it lol. Plus i feel like the big females know i want to get them for my bigger spiders haha oh well