Crickets and premoult

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My GBB is in premoult. There is two crickets inside his tank right now that I put in on Saturday. Last time he ate was Wednesday last week, so 5 days ago. Here's my problem. I can't get at the dang crickets without messing up the webbing in the tank, and my T's hide.

He's closed himself off in his hide so the crix can't get him.

Should I just wait till the crix die, then remove ? How long will that take for the cix to die ? Are the Crix still a threat even though it looks like they can't get to my T ?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
they can be threat, i've seen crix chew through webbing. plus, their movements might stress your t out while it is molting.

have you tried long tongs? usually i can get crix out using them without disturbing too much.

another thing you can try is greens or fruit. as a chroma tank should be very dry, they will get thirsty soon. so just place a juicy something to nibble on at the door and wait for them to go for it. they usually do so right after it gets dark.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they can be threat, i've seen crix chew through webbing. plus, their movements might stress your t out while it is molting.

have you tried long tongs? usually i can get crix out using them without disturbing too much.

another thing you can try is greens or fruit. as a chroma tank should be very dry, they will get thirsty soon. so just place a juicy something to nibble on at the door and wait for them to go for it. they usually do so right after it gets dark.
i agree! get them out! do you have some long snake tongs that alice was talking about? (if not i would highly recommend getting some, you have no idea how much of a helpful tool they are until you have them) messing up its webbing (which it will most certainly fix after the molt) is a better trade-off than having a dead GBB.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've been looking for tongs for weeks. No luck yet. I have 2 pet stores in town that have them on order for me. I should have them later this week.

How about a chunk of carrot as bait. Would that work ?

lpw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been looking for tongs for weeks. No luck yet. I have 2 pet stores in town that have them on order for me. I should have them later this week.

How about a chunk of carrot as bait. Would that work ?
Why not try barbeque tongs? They work just fine for me, without the ridiculous pet store pricing. And yes, carrots are just fine.

And, in the absence of tongs, why not just squish the crickets with some sort of a blunt object? Or impale them on something sharp. Aren't I in a gruesome mood...

Little fishnets work, too.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why not try barbeque tongs? They work just fine for me, without the ridiculous pet store pricing. And yes, carrots are just fine.
bbq tongs are great if you are feeding a boa constrictor. but the feeding tongs im referring to are long and slender like a long pair of tweezers. they arent expensive at all. 10-12 bucks at the most.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
bbq tongs are great if you are feeding a boa constrictor. but the feeding tongs im referring to are long and slender like a long pair of tweezers. they arent expensive at all. 10-12 bucks at the most.

I've tried my BBQ tongs, they are too big for small detailed wotk like this. I'll put a carrot in tonight, and squish a F*#@ers when they go for it !

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've tried my BBQ tongs, they are too big for small detailed wotk like this. I'll put a carrot in tonight, and squish a F*#@ers when they go for it !
youre right they are. like i said they are great for feeding boas, anacondas, carpets, etc. but not for detailed work like with spiders. or even for feeding smaller snakes like kings, milks, etc. unless they are very ravenous eaters.

ha ha!!!!!!{D sounds like a heck of a plan man!!!! i love it!

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
carrot works fine, but apple works even better (i think they love fruit).

if you cannot get tongs by tonight, you can try slender scissors (as you don't need to get them out alive) or an impaling by barbecue stick. you know, those wooden or metal sticks used to grill arrangements of onions, meat and stuff.

lpw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
carrot works fine, but apple works even better (i think they love fruit).
Apples might be tasty, but I'd excercise some caution: apples tend to be the most pesticide-ridden fruit. Washing thoroughly or peeling might help, but I still wouldn't do it. I lost at least one animal (a green tree frog, several others ill) to pesticide that also wiped out half of my crickets. In that case, it was unpeeled cucumber. Since then, I stick to carrots and potatoes to feed the feeders.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my crix in crix keeper, wit 2 hollow tubes
so if I need to catch a crix from T's enclosure
I use dat tube dey go right in, wit out much trouble

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
lol ipw, he wants to catch and kill them, not keep them healthy ;)

still strange, i feed apples on a regular basis, and all my crix do fine on them. but maybe they don't spray them so much in germany. in fact, my grandad grows apples and he never sprays them...