Cricket questions

regalpaws

Arachnoknight
Yo, I keep jumping spiders and often use crickets but they dont last very long. I know they're kinda notorious for that, but I wondered what I can do better for my husbandry? I have a small cricket pen and use paper towel rolls vertically to keep them off of each other. I also have a sponge for water, but I rarely if ever feed them since I dont buy many at a time. Thanks!

DustyD

Arachnoknight
Maybe try keeping them. You can feed them store bought food or carrots, potatoes, apples, grains. One place I read suggested some protein like fish food flakes, as when crickets don't get protein in their diet they may start to eat each other. I havemixed results with maintaining crickets.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Torn up egg carton works better than paper towel tube, & if you've got any old fruits or vegetables in the fridge, those will do better than a sponge for water (just make sure they're washed off first). Keep their container out of the sun, & they'll live longer. Viper is right,.though.... you'd be amazed how much longer stuff lives if you feed it, LoL

additude

Arachnosquire
I've had best results with keeping a dry enclosure. Use a thin layer of Vermiculite, 1/2" or so, some paper egg carton pieces on top, a small water bowl with a sponge to prevent drowning, some dry food (I use Flukers or Josh's) in a small 1/4" high bowl just because it's simple, nutritious and convenient. It really doesn't take much food. Don't add anything wet to the enclosure except the water sponge in the short bowl. Even wet food will cause mold and mold will kill the crickets.
The Vermiculite will absorb the cricket waste smell (ammonia) and the frass will work its way to under the Vermiculite.
When it comes time to clean, sift the frass out of the Vermiculite with a 1/20 mesh screen (.05). Reuse the Vermiculite.
If you want, put a small, short container of topsoil in the enclosure and mature crickets will lay eggs. In 5 or 6 weeks, you'll see baby pinhead crickets.

regalpaws

Arachnoknight
I've had best results with keeping a dry enclosure. Use a thin layer of Vermiculite, 1/2" or so, some paper egg carton pieces on top, a small water bowl with a sponge to prevent drowning, some dry food (I use Flukers or Josh's) in a small 1/4" high bowl just because it's simple, nutritious and convenient. It really doesn't take much food. Don't add anything wet to the enclosure except the water sponge in the short bowl. Even wet food will cause mold and mold will kill the crickets.
The Vermiculite will absorb the cricket waste smell (ammonia) and the frass will work its way to under the Vermiculite.
When it comes time to clean, sift the frass out of the Vermiculite with a 1/20 mesh screen (.05). Reuse the Vermiculite.
If you want, put a small, short container of topsoil in the enclosure and mature crickets will lay eggs. In 5 or 6 weeks, you'll see baby pinhead crickets.
Thanks a ton! I prob have vermiculite laying around; I love gardening and houseplants. Is perlite ok too?

additude

Arachnosquire
No, Perlite does not absorb water, waste, or odors. Perlite will not be as effective as Vermiculite, which does absorb those conditions.

additude

Arachnosquire
Google:
While it does also help retain some water, perlite is primarily used to aerate compost. It excellent for creating a free-draining potting compost for plants that need good drainage, such as cacti and succulents. It can also help create an airy compost for seedlings.
Google:
Vermiculite helps to aerate soil while simultaneously retaining water and nutrients, which it then releases over time. Vermiculite is therefore useful in seed sowing and propagation. It can also be added to house plant compost.
Google:
Vermiculite will mix with soil and help to retain water. Perlite, on the other hand, will add drainage to the soil that it's mixed with. Vermiculite finds its way into many seed starting systems
Google:
When wet, vermiculite can hold a lot of water, as much as 220-325% by weight, and as much as 20-50% by volume.

regalpaws

Arachnoknight
Ok thanks for the information and tips. If vermiculite dust or fragments were attached to the crickets, will it harm my jumpers?

additude

Arachnosquire
Ok thanks for the information and tips. If vermiculite dust or fragments were attached to the crickets, will it harm my jumpers?
Well.... technically, it could be considered the same as eating dirt, or any other debris or foreign material that one may find out and about on the ground, forest floor, desert sand, dust, muddy water, decayed organic material, including all types of animal feces, droppings and excrement's...oh, and the list could go on I'm sure....
Google:
Vermiculite itself is safe to use; there is no evidence that any acute or chronic toxicity or carcinogenicity exists from long-term exposure to vermiculite.
But, you be the judge.

These are 3/4-inch thirsty crickets....

Attachments

regalpaws

Arachnoknight
Well.... technically, it could be considered the same as eating dirt, or any other debris or foreign material that one may find out and about on the ground, forest floor, desert sand, dust, muddy water, decayed organic material, including all types of animal feces, droppings and excrement's...oh, and the list could go on I'm sure....
Google:
Vermiculite itself is safe to use; there is no evidence that any acute or chronic toxicity or carcinogenicity exists from long-term exposure to vermiculite.
But, you be the judge.

These are 3/4-inch thirsty crickets....
Yes that's true, vermiculite and perlite are natural rock. I have heard that you need to wear a mask while dealing with either one as the particles can enter your lungs, as well as being an irritant to the skin. So I was curious ☺

additude

Arachnosquire
Where do you get your crickets? how many and are they banded? Better crickets, give better results.

regalpaws

Arachnoknight
Where do you get your crickets? how many and are they banded? Better crickets, give better results.
I usually buy anywhere from 10-25 banded at a time, depending on who has them in stock. We have a few nice local pet stores here.

additude

Arachnosquire
I usually buy anywhere from 10-25 banded at a time, depending on who has them in stock. We have a few nice local pet stores here.
I stopped in PetsMart about two weeks ago and grabbed 100 crickets.... I didn't think much about it, I usually order online, but I get to the register and it's like $14 with my PetsMart club discount!! I was shocked, but I needed them. I pay a nickel each online with shipping.
I also setup a a cricket breeding box, now I have a bunch of baby "Pinhead +" size crickets as well. You should try it.
Dry cricket food, water in a small dish with a sponge to stop drowning crickets, vermiculite, cardboard egg carton and a "17Lx12Wx8H"-ish (Or one smaller, Large Cricket pen, or Sterlite plastic container.) It's not hard, dry and ventilation is the key.

regalpaws

Arachnoknight
I stopped in PetsMart about two weeks ago and grabbed 100 crickets.... I didn't think much about it, I usually order online, but I get to the register and it's like $14 with my PetsMart club discount!! I was shocked, but I needed them. I pay a nickel each online with shipping.
I also setup a a cricket breeding box, now I have a bunch of baby "Pinhead +" size crickets as well. You should try it.
Dry cricket food, water in a small dish with a sponge to stop drowning crickets, vermiculite, cardboard egg carton and a "17Lx12Wx8H"-ish (Or one smaller, Large Cricket pen, or Sterlite plastic container.) It's not hard, dry and ventilation is the key.
Cool, thanks for the idea! 😄 Looking for ways to save anywhere I can anymore lol.

additude

Arachnosquire
To breed the crickets, use adult crickets to lay the eggs. Put an 8-ish ounce, 10-ish ounce or so, low profile container with topsoil (not potting soil) filled about 1/4 inch from the top. I put a 3/16-inch piece of screen mesh flush to the topsoil and place that into the cricket container. You will see female crickets spiking with their abdomens thru the topsoil to lay eggs. The screen mesh is to stop the crickets from eating the eggs.
I wasn't interested in efficiencies, so I just left the eggs and topsoil at room temperature. They can be incubated in a separate enclosure at warmer than room temps. But I just left them as is and in a couple of weeks, there was a zillion baby cricket's in there. I eventually transferred them over to a Cricket Keeper and they are growing.
It's not hard to do.
The first is the container with topsoil and screen
Second is inside a Cricket Keeper of pinhead babies. Water, food, egg carton, vermiculite.

Attachments

regalpaws

Arachnoknight
To breed the crickets, use adult crickets to lay the eggs. Put an 8-ish ounce, 10-ish ounce or so, low profile container with topsoil (not potting soil) filled about 1/4 inch from the top. I put a 3/16-inch piece of screen mesh flush to the topsoil and place that into the cricket container. You will see female crickets spiking with their abdomens thru the topsoil to lay eggs. The screen mesh is to stop the crickets from eating the eggs.
I wasn't interested in efficiencies, so I just left the eggs and topsoil at room temperature. They can be incubated in a separate enclosure at warmer than room temps. But I just left them as is and in a couple of weeks, there was a zillion baby cricket's in there. I eventually transferred them over to a Cricket Keeper and they are growing.
It's not hard to do.
The first is the container with topsoil and screen
Second is inside a Cricket Keeper of pinhead babies. Water, food, egg carton, vermiculite.
Awesome thanks! 😄