cricket problem and more

cul3one104

Arachnopeon
For some reason my tank has a whole bunch of baby crickets! They are growing and I assumed that soon they will be big and I want to know if it's going to be dangerous for my emps. I think it's close to 50+ crickets in the 10 gal tank. My emps don't seem to be eating because when I put in large crickets, they are still there. Some died but don't eaten. And my emps are in the burrows most of the times and don't come out. Is that going to be a problem? It would be great if someone can give me some advise. Thank you

Dwight

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by cul3one104
My emps don't seem to be eating because when I put in large crickets, they are still there. Some died but don't eaten
Dwight
I think you have to remove any uneaten item from the tank every time you feed a scorp. I don't know if scorps pass a non-eating period before molting but this might be the case...As for the crickets, try to remove them as they could cause stress to your emperors....put in a water bowl and most probably they will drown themselves(the crickets)

Hope this is good advice

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can also leave a peice of caroot or potato for a couple hours than remove it when the little crickets flock to it, to discard of them or put them in a tank with a little heat,carrot and water and in six weeks they`ll be full grown.Save $You can repeat the carrot for two hours everycouple of days to remove all of them.

To stop this from hapening you`ll have to keep a small container for youre crickets and just feed youre scorps and in the morning remove any crickets left every couple of days.By doing this they`ll probably eat in front of you more often.

Mat

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What i think your problom is, is that when you put adult crickets in for your emps to eat. They layed eggs in the soil before being killed. Iv seen adult crickets do this quite a few times in some of my scorp tanks. I dont know how you can prevent them from laying, unless you sex each crix before putting them in. Or buy crickets that are not adults, (ones w/o wings and a ovipositor) BTW if you want to sex the crickets, females have 3 extrusions off it and males have 2.