cricket pics

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I know most of you guys probably aren't waiting for cricket pics, but I made a few that I just wanted to share.

Attachments

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This is the biggest cricket I've ever seen!! My hands aren't too big, so that will probably give you some indication on the size of this one ....
My P. murinus loved it anyway :).

Attachments

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that looks like an elaborate set up you have there for your crickets, must be a pain to keep it clean?
Ed

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, it sure is a helluva job to keep it clean. But on the other hand, the crickets will live much longer, so I think it's worth it :).

Dennis

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Lol, wouldn't think someone would post up cricket pics hehe.

Yea that cricket is huge. You should try to keep other crickets as well. If you ever need advice about cricket raising ask me, I use to sell crickets.

Too bad I don't got a digi cam, too poor. I would show you a fat female cricket filled with thousands of eggs. I also got some other crickets, my largest is a Jerusalem, almost 2 and half inch. My friend across the street use to have a weta, 3 actually. Gigantic crickets, 3-4 inch around there. Don't get bitten, hurts like crap. Check them out for your interest.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
use to have a weta, 3 actually. Gigantic crickets
Were that giant Wellington three Wetas (Hemideina thoracica) or
the Giant Mahoenui Weta????

i've never seen any of those alive, but they intrige me alot

greetz

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Giant weta as in the pic at this page? Almost at the end of the page.
http://home.t-online.de/home/0220380296/surpl_d.htm

I don't really want to spend 40 DM (should be about 20 euro now) on a big ass cricket that none of my T's can eat ... :)

But if I get to cricket breeding I will ask you some questions :).

Dennis

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
OMG!

Those are HUGE!

A T.Blondi would really appreciate such a treat......

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by genious_gr
OMG!

Those are HUGE!

A T.Blondi would really appreciate such a treat......
A giant weta would be likley to turn the tables on the spider, they're quite predatious from what I understand!

Wade

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
>....

Um, don't use them as feeder. I heard of people that tried to feed them to their giant 9++ inch spiders and most of them, instead of preying on the weta, got preyed on themselves. Their legs are filled with spinnes and a kick can have the power to stread your hands and cause alot of damage...

Wetas are hecka expansive for a feeder too lol.

Even if the spider does get the weta somehow, i doubt she/he would leave the battle unscathed.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
A giant weta would be likley to turn the tables on the spider, they're quite predatious from what I understand
yes indeed!, if they are hungry they feed on eachother also, i've read somewhere, so it's not exactually a feeding insect, i do love T's but the idea of a Weta atacking a spider i find ;P

It's a shame those weta are beeing eating at their natural habitat by immigrants(how do you cal that in English???)mamals

greetz

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
"Introduced" is one word to described them, or "alien". It's ironic because the wetas filled the ecological niche that would normally be filled by small mammals.

I wish we could legally get those here, the US dept. of agiculture is pretty strict about importing exotic insects.

Wade

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
I wish we could legally get those here
do you mean the Giant Weta or the Wellington three Wetas, Some UK dealers did offer Wellington three Wetas for sale recently:D , i passed because i tought they were way to expensive!

greetz

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Either, both are the same as far as the USDA is concerned.

The closeset thing we have to wetas is the native Jerusalem's crickets out west.

Wade

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how do u keep those jerusalem crickets? i find them every once in a while but dont wanna take it home cuz im afraid it'll just die. Last time i caught two, the bigger of the teo ended up eatting the smaller one so im thinking theyre somewhat predacious? i dunno

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't have much experience with them, but my understanding is that they're omnivores. Veggies and feeder crix as food. I think they may also take dry dog food.

I think they also need substrate they can burrow in, like a few inches of potting soil or peat moss.

Wade

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Paladin
how do u keep those jerusalem crickets? i find them every once in a while but dont wanna take it home cuz im afraid it'll just die. Last time i caught two, the bigger of the teo ended up eatting the smaller one so im thinking theyre somewhat predacious? i dunno
Breeding them is hard and keeping them is harder still. I would say let them go but if you wanna try I got some info for you. They live under things and make deep burrows. They usually come up when its warm or if the ground gets too soggy. They eat plant roots, food and water for them. They also eat some other bugs and will probably eat some other vegetations and food. You should experiment. They like high humidity and warmth I'm not sure but they live where I live so 60-80 is great. Um, if you touch them they roll up kinda and there spikes one their feet if you touch them will stick to your hand. They will turn around and bit you. Little ones kinda hurt, big ones like my 2 incher, trust me don't get bitten hurts like crap. Feels like getting pinch but 2x the fun. I kept some but they either get away in my house or they die. I don't feed them to my pets....they seem to fear them for some reason....

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Neo
but if you wanna try I got some info for you. They live under things and make deep burrows. They usually come up when its warm or if the ground gets too soggy. They eat plant roots, food and water for them....
oh come on, does no-one else think that's freaking hilarious??!!

so basically, you're telling us that crickets live under stuff, or dig... and, um, that they like to eat... and then they like to drink, too.. and if their burrow gets flooded, they'll leave it for dry land...

man, i'm sure glad we have a textbook with us on this site ;)

just joshing, neo, take it stride :)

peace
dave