Cricket Munchies!

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
what do crickets eat?

I sliced up a oragne into 4 peices and put it into the tank i keep them in and they havnt touched it.......what do crickets really like and will fatten up on really well?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I use dog food for feeding my crickets. They love it and the protein content seems to prevent cannibalism.

Things like orange slices are for moisture more than nutrition.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have an orange tree in my backyard and I use the oranges that are too small, mishapen, etc. to feed my roaches (hissers and death heads), crickets and millipedes. I also use dog food and fish food to feed them.
Ed

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
I use all of the above..but of late..have been using Layena (chicken feed) I have chickens, so have a fairly large amount..

Oooohh! Maybe I'll get eggs from my crickets too! Are they nutritious?!

(buhm dum, dum!)
;P
Peace,
Gillian

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
cricket food

any of the one's listed or mix chicken grit (feed) and
oatmeal flakes. (same as for meal worms)
Raw potatoes, apples.:}

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use green salad for feeding them. And sometimes they get a piece of apple or potato. They love it.

Whitdadie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To get them nice a gut loaded, feed them cricket food. You can get a 5 lb tub of it at docfostersmith.com for like 7.99 or something and it is GREAT for them. Also, cricket water is the best to water them. It dosnt get bacteria infestations, exc, and is only 2.99 at that site for a good sized bottle. But, if you dont want to spend money on that, then dog food and fish flakes are your best bet with patato for moisture :eek:)

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Whitdadie
Also, cricket water is the best to water them. It dosnt get bacteria infestations, exc, and is only 2.99 at that site for a good sized bottle.
Pssst...
Think www.watersorb.com and buy a decade's worth of "cricket water" for about $13 shipped. All it is is hydrated polyacrylamide copolymer with food coloring. You buy it in its crystalline form and make your own for pennies.