Cricket laying Eggs in burrow

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got home and dropped in a new cricket into my rosea's KK and the first thing it does is run into her burrow and starts laying eggs in the substrate. I'm just wondering if i should try to dig them up (which is hard since they're in the burrow) or just hope they die which I'm guessing might be likely since the rosea likes completely dry substrate so I'm hoping they just dry out.

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Frustrating indeed!

I myself had the same problem and I found no real easy answer. I'm not an expert on crickets but if you look at an sub adult to adult cricket you'll notice a long tube sticking out of it's rear, or the ovipositor. One option is to cut that off entirely. That why she (female cricket) can't lay eggs deep within the substrate where they have no chance of drying out and dying. It's tidious I can imagine.

Another option is really quite simple. Keep the substrate rather dry and provide a water dish. A. roseas don't need that much humidity in my experience, so dry it out and then see.

Hope that helps some.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Don't worry about it. The cricket eggs need much more moisture and much more heat than you are likely to be providing for a rosehair. They won't hatch withouth the right conditions.

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Really?

Man, ive been tryin to breed crickets for about 3months, no luck. How deep/moist should the substrate be? I keep the mature female crickets in a diff. container with 1inch of peat moss. :?

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMHO-- crickets are the Spawn of Satan....they live when you want them to die, and die when you need them to live...they stink and are noisy.......
Anyway- there is not alot you can do about crix laying eggs in the enclosures- you can give them a small pot of peat or dirt to encourage them to drop their eggs in the enclosure you keep your crix in, this helps, but doesn't stop the *#)@($&%$ s from laying in our T's homes! And they WILL hatch in a totally dry enclosure-- (it's happened to me more than once)-- just because you don't want them there!! It's just all part of the game!
Leave a bowl of water in the T's house, and the baby crix will drown themselves if they do hatch. Just make sure to clean the bowl every day.

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh you'll be fine if the substrate is nice and dry, as it should b in a Rosie tank...

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
same problem

I have the same problem with the crix in my tanks. with the humidity requirement of an a. versi, will the eggs hatch? what are my options?

jam

Arachnopeon
crickets

I had this problem. Came home one day to see my substrate is alive and moving. I could not believe how many there were. I had to toss it and put in fresh stuff. Saved a little so maybe it will save me a trip to the pet store. Now I never throw big fat females in my enclosures unless I have a really hungry aggresive T.

my_dead_valenti

Arachnopeon
what about a tarantula other then a g.rosea? what can you do to the eggs then?
yea i pick the males and hardly use the females, unless its for a certain bird eater then i know it wont have a chance to lay anything;P

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How can you tell the difference from the males crix and the females ?

and don't say boys have a penis, girls have a vagina !

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer

How can you tell the difference from the males crix and the females ?

and don't say boys have a penis, girls have a vagina !
Females have something that looks like two spears and a long one in the middle of their butts, male have only two. :?

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Females have a dark brown/black stick coming out of their backside, sometimes almost an inch long. That's what the eggs come out of (the ovipositor).

I also only throw the females in with my instant-eaters. I started doing it after I found several TINY crickets drowned in my A. seemani's water dish. I never even knew there were any in there until I spotted the casualties. None made it beyond that stage.

The ovipositor, by the way, makes a VERY handy cricket-grabbing handle. If you grab a cric by the leg, they will simply drop the leg and get free. I've watched females try and try and try to get loose when you've got them by the ovipositor (I grab all of mine with forceps to transport them to the T tanks). It's great... no escapees!

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here you go... These aren't the same species my LPS supplies, but you get the point.

Another female...

The juvie females have a stubby ovipositor, not fully developed...

Here's a male (Blame the Google masses for the caption. ;) )...

Last edited:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IMHO-- crickets are the Spawn of Satan....they live when you want them to die, and die when you need them to live...they stink and are noisy.......
Anyway- there is not alot you can do about crix laying eggs in the enclosures- you can give them a small pot of peat or dirt to encourage them to drop their eggs in the enclosure you keep your crix in, this helps, but doesn't stop the *#)@($&%$ s from laying in our T's homes! And they WILL hatch in a totally dry enclosure-- (it's happened to me more than once)-- just because you don't want them there!! It's just all part of the game!
Leave a bowl of water in the T's house, and the baby crix will drown themselves if they do hatch. Just make sure to clean the bowl every day.
Oh, I agree, sweetie, however, even now that I have a colony of B. latteralis, some of my T's won't eat anything but crix.
I have never had crickets hatch in any of my enclosures, I wish they would, then I would just pull them out and let them grow up and feed them to my T's. Instead I have to go buy the chirping, noisy f*#@ing things. Yick!!! Yes, you are right, if you don't want them, drown them, they are to stupid to aviod a water dish.