Cricket Goo and Paralyzed T’s

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
I dripped water into its bucal cavity and its legs would twitch and the water would get drained away, so I figured there was hope. I kept the water drip going every other day or so, occasionally mixing cricket goo in with the water (yes, that is definitely one of the top most nauseating things I've ever done).
I know how nauseating the 'cricket goo' can be. Last fall while driving down some dirt roads I came across a number of T’s that had been stung by Pepsis wasps. The wasps were hanging out near by digging holes. So I picked up the spiders and took them home with me, all were very much paralyzed. I began rehabilitating them with water and ‘cricket shakes’.

To make a long story short, two died (one was unable to molt, the other never ‘ate’ well). One of them is now catching and eating its own crickets and the rest are at varying stages of recovery (all are walking and no show signs of grub infestation). But let me just say making a ‘cricket shake’ is a very unappetizing experience. Out of curiosity Bill did you have any special way of making the goo, or was it just the old cut n’ squeeze? ;)

MrMatt

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Erg... Yes, the latter. *gag*

Actually it's not that big a deal, but there's something about cutting open a live cricket and sgooching it into water to mix that tests my boundaries. ;)

bill

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I'm ever in that situation I think I'd have to freeze the crickets and then use a glass jar or vial and rig up some kind of cricket grinder using a rotary tool(dremel) with a long shafted specialty tip to make the process less personal and more detached and mechanical.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Hey guys, there's always the blender:eek:
Still really gross!:}