Cricket Disaster.. Who else has done this?

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Ok, being fairly new to T keeping, I've got a nice 9 inch high petpal, full of adult crickets. So a few minutes ago, I feed my two T's, and in the process, my dog spooks me, and WHAM, my knee hits said keeper, and it crashes to the floor

Now, my apartment is crawling with live crickets, who are so much harder to catch on hardwood floors than they were out of the keeper.

I'd say I had 50 in there.

I caught 8. The rest are hiding and popping in and out of furniture. The dog will surely get them, he seems to love eating flys and other bugs. I'm not really too upset about it, I just thought I'd share my humility with you folks.

Bill

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As far as numbers go i have not had 40 plus crickets running around but I have had a few and they always seem to turn up.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ROFL!!!......i guess if they go to chirping tonight....it will be like camping indoors!!!

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
One time I got my order of a thousand crickets and decided transfer them into their new container in the basement. Well, there was no disaster or knocking the container over or anything. But, some managed to escape, I'd say about 30-40 out of the thousand. Remember that this was in the basement. About 2 days later, my parents started complaining about crickets chirping and jumping around in their bedroom on the second floor. I just think crickets are amazing escape artists. Not only that, they are amazing migraters.

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
Ive only had a few escapees before, the cats usually get to them before me.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
same here king_looey.........i usually only get what crickets i need or catch em in the back yard......but the few times they escaped....one of the cats is always there in a jiffy!!!

hillie16

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I had my lizards I used to only keep a small amount in a coffee can. I' poke hole in the lid, and slice a potato in half and put it in there. They wouldn't escape at all...but DAMN did that can STINK!!!!

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Re: Vomit

Originally posted by Rookie
Conipto,
I would have moved.
The Rookie

They're only crickets.... what are they going to do, CHIRP on you? ;)

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My cat is the great hunter around here, any crickets get out and she has them with in half an hour or so. She even gets flys out of the air. :D ;) :)

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
When I was doing an internship in college during the summer, I had no money an had to sub-let a room in a BAD part of the city of Cincinnati, OH.. college house, you get the picture...

Anyway, one night we were all sitting around watching the Drew Carey Show, when this one guy's cat literally jettisons from the side of the room, and executes a perfect our-point landing right on top of a cockroach that had tried to run across the floor! This cat must have jumped 10 feet in a single hop... it was amazing... :)

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I did the same thing with about 4 dozen crix.... my dustbuster saved the day! It sucks them up like there is no tomorrow.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When I read this post yesterday I had to laugh at you guys. Dumping all those crickets.
I sent my son out to buy 60 crickets last night. Well, he left them in "MY" truck while he did what ever he does, and when he got home the little pricks had eatten a hole in the bag and got out.
60 crickets free-for-alling in the truck. We managed the catch about 40 so far.

Ernie:(

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
THATS HILARIOUS. Im glad my pet store sells crix to me in a PLASTIC bag, even though they are THE WORST Petstore on earth...ok, except for Kandahar Pets Inc.....all their pets are skelletons !!

Ive lost crix before, but Ive never kept 50 !!

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You got a laugh out of me on that one. I could just picture the look on your face when you saw them. I don't feel so bad now. A few times while sticking my arm in the plastic bag, a few have run up my arm and made a great escape. My black cat is also a fly catcher in the air type. I'm sure he will do fine with crix.

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by MrT
When I read this post yesterday I had to laugh at you guys. Dumping all those crickets.
I sent my son out to buy 60 crickets last night. Well, he left them in "MY" truck while he did what ever he does, and when he got home the little pricks had eatten a hole in the bag and got out.
60 crickets free-for-alling in the truck. We managed the catch about 40 so far.

Ernie:(

Shoot, you live in Arizona.... throw a free-roaming T in the truck... they'll be gone before you know it... ;)

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well your really going to laugh now. They were in a plastic bag.
I've never seen this happen before. It looks like they started chewing on a winkle that forms at the top of the bag where its twisted together for the rubber band. Maybe 60 crickets is to many for one bag. Or maybe its cause I laughed. Karma..:)
I'm a double bag guy now.

Ernie

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i always carry a fishing type cricket holder to get crickets....one of those that is round wire mesh type that i can stick my hand down in it........none have escaped that yet!!.......knock-on-wood........

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

man that would drive me crazy having that many loose,lol, just having one chirping in my room somewhere, drives me crazy when i'm trying to sleep,lol=D

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
escaped crickets don't bother me... my sugar gliders go nuts in my living room with them! it's good fun... sometimes my little bearded dragon goes flying for crickets too :)

one disaster when i got my first slings....
i got a really really really large culture of flightless fruitflys.....
Well..... they found a way out....

thousands and thousands of fruitflys all over my apartment!!!! it was hell on earth!!!!!