Cricket diet and water crystals?

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Are they ok for my roaches? i got a jar of high calcium cricket diet, and 2 jars of water crystals... are they safe?

Thanks

Spencer

the_frog_kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
calcium isnt the best for roaches
they need only less than 1 percent calcium so i think the cricket food is a pass
i breed tons of roaches without fail on water crytals
its easier and more fun haha:D
you can try crushing kitten food up in a mortar and pestle or a coffe bean grinder untill it is powder and feeding that
for best results buy a roach food
but not one that has a shelf life since this meens there is animal protein in it and if fed this and crystals alot (present at all times as most colonies have it) it can lead to a very strong and terrible order since the roaches dont fully digest it and it rots in their gut and in the substrate

thanx froggy

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
calcium isnt the best for roaches
they need only less than 1 percent calcium so i think the cricket food is a pass
i breed tons of roaches without fail on water crytals
its easier and more fun haha:D
you can try crushing kitten food up in a mortar and pestle or a coffe bean grinder untill it is powder and feeding that
for best results buy a roach food
but not one that has a shelf life since this meens there is animal protein in it and if fed this and crystals alot (present at all times as most colonies have it) it can lead to a very strong and terrible order since the roaches dont fully digest it and it rots in their gut and in the substrate

thanx froggy

thanks. I made some roach food already, with ground up cat and dog food, orak leaves, one a day vitamins, and other things (from the roach care article) so i guess i'll stick with that.

the_frog_kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hmm i have a grudge against dog food for roaches
there is small amounts of insecticides in some dog foods
mostly large brand name ones
slows roach breeding and growth

thanx froggy

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yikes! I guess pet food could have all kinds of bad things in it. I just read something kind of gross online about how they send dead dogs and cats to rendering plants where they're made into dog & cat food. I guess they do that with most animals though. Now I know where the soilent green idea came from :}
Anyway, sounds like you are doing a great job mixing up food for your roaches. I always wanted to get some of those "roach yummies" sticks for my bugs. Mostly because I just liked the packaging though. lol :)