Cricket Crisis in SK

Nodroj

Arachnopeon
So our local pet stores have no crickets due to the cold weather during transport. What are some alternatives? I'm currently using giant mealworms but there's still a nice friendship going on b/w the two despite having not eaten in a week.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you need to chop the mealworm in half. The bug guts might stimulate feeding.

Really the easiest thing to do is start breeding roaches.

Nodroj

Arachnopeon
Getting the scorpion itself was pushing my luck. My roommates probably won't go for roaches. Haha.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Roaches are illegal in Canada.
There's always good ol' Periplaneta americana! :D

From my experience with Parcoblatta pennsylvanica, they breed fast enough to be used as feeders, require care similar to B. lateralis, are only a little bit smaller, but finding a substantial amount for immediate breeding use could be tricky.

Nodroj

Arachnopeon
Haha. The "tundra" can take care of itself. It's the old house we're renting filled w/lots of nooks and crannies. The stores have told me to try again today. Hopefully they have some. He still hasn't eaten. The mealworm held no interest for it. If he starves himself to death, I will be so angry. Haha.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha. The "tundra" can take care of itself. It's the old house we're renting filled w/lots of nooks and crannies. The stores have told me to try again today. Hopefully they have some. He still hasn't eaten. The mealworm held no interest for it. If he starves himself to death, I will be so angry. Haha.
They can go for a long period with out eating... Just give them a chance, take it away and try again next week.

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha. .... It's the old house we're renting filled w/lots of nooks and crannies...
I'd start checking those nooks and crannies for possible feeder items. Should be able to find something that will interest it. Earwigs, silverfish?

Nodroj

Arachnopeon
Crisis is over. They finally got a shipment that didn't arrive w/a cricket cryogenic genocide. Haha. Thanks everyone.

llamastick

Arachnoknight
Tropical roaches like dubia and lateralis can't really infest anything in North America, as they need pretty high temps/humidity to breed. They're not really capable of escaping, anyway. So much easier to deal with than crickets. No noise, no smell, no cannibalism, etc.

Attachments

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
Tropical roaches like dubia and lateralis can't really infest anything in North America, as they need pretty high temps/humidity to breed. They're not really capable of escaping, anyway. So much easier to deal with than crickets. No noise, no smell, no cannibalism, etc.
This is all correct but their still illegal and the only way to get them is to drive across the border, buy from a private breeder and smuggle them back.

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
This is all correct but their still illegal and the only way to get them is to drive across the border, buy from a private breeder and smuggle them back.
Precisely, and getting caught with them could cost you the price of a house...it is a risk one must consider.