Cricket Care

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've recently gone to live feeder crickets for my invertebrates, and they keep dying on me and a friend of mine. Mine don't die as much because I have half in one container and half in another. I don't know if that contributes to lower death rates or whatnot, but I'm just putting it out there. I put a couple of bits of dog food and fruit in there. There is a little bit of substrate in there for them to do their thing. The humidity is very good and they seem to get all over the food when they get in there. But over time they just randomly die and some crickets even eat them. What's going wrong?

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think cricket are very long lived. So if you buy adults they only have a few weeks left.

Pls. correct me if I'm wrong :)

Ernie

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
I don't think cricket are very long lived. So if you buy adults they only have a few weeks left.

Pls. correct me if I'm wrong :)

Ernie
Yeah, ernie, you are right. They don't live very long after adulthood, but I'd like to see them live longer than a few days after I get them. So I'm just seeking info to keep them alive for around a week (more would be cool, but I won't stretch it :) )

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, Albino-

I just scanned through your thread, and I didn't see you mention a source of moisture...?

jds

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm also not seeing any mention of ventilation. IME crix die off pretty quick in poorly ventilated containers.

Wade

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd up the ventilation a bit. My bins all have screened tops.

Wade

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For a large cofee can, I think that's enough ventilation. I mean, they've reproduced, lain eggs, and pinheads were born. Most recently I've had drastically better survival rates. I haven't changed anything. If I had to guess I'd say that there is at least 40% ventilation.