Cric bites

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well this is the first time it happend to me I got bit by a cricket after i picked one up when i was feeding my T's earlyer it actually hurt. Cricket got his when my Togo started to devour him, whats left is strung up on the wall of the pet pal

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The same thing happened to me for the first and only time a few weeks ago and I was really startled. I actually dropped the cricket and it got away. I caught it a few hours later when I heard it chirping. It died from the wrath of my Togo as well. It totally hurts.

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by chaset
Well this is the first time it happend to me I got bit by a cricket after i picked one up when i was feeding my T's earlyer it actually hurt. Cricket got his when my Togo started to devour him, whats left is strung up on the wall of the pet pal
What kind of cricket was it? Was it a black or a brown cricket? How large was it?

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you just lead the cricet onto your hand, and dosent close your hand while carrying it, the cricet wont bite. It usually stays on your hand to, until you throw it in whit the T.
It will bite to defend himself, go figure :p

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've never had them bite me, even if I'm holding them by their head =p

Well..sort of. I once had a cricket that would try to bite my finger nail, but wouldn't touch my skin. Maybe he realized his punishment was death if he did..

BertWright

Arachnopeon
Biting Cricket

I use a cricket keeper, with screen mesh sides, and when you carry it sometimes they nail you. I liken it to flies that bite when you're out in a boat or on the water. It's a little nip, but sometimes they get a hold on and effect a bite that's just right. Yeeowww! No, they can't hurt you - wanna bet! - It is understandable why you don't want these guys (crickets) in an enclosure with a molting T - they could easily bite into a freshly molted tarantula. Crickets molt too, and they can be fairly vulnerable themselves after molting. ;P Save the biting crickets for the lizards or your most hungry tarantula.

Bert Wright
Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What species is a "biting cricket"? Is it a different from the brown crickets that I get, that don't seem to bite? Are you referring to black crickets?

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just the normal brown crickets you buy at the petstore for feeding to animals.

(Sorry, I ain't 2 gud wit the tecknikal turms) They keep their jaws (mandibals?) drawn in. When they bite, they pop out and squeeze. They certainly don't do it very often, but apparently it hurts when they do :p

Imagine if crickets suddenly evolved and started biting to defend themselves. They'd probably save the lives of millions of crickets every year..or not

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The brown crickets (Acheta domestica) don't bite often, but they can, and I've been nailed. Had a particularly nasty male cricket in the last batch I got that was doing everything he could to take a piece out of my hand - it was very enjoyable tossing him to my Braz. Black & White :). The large black field crickets you find in much of the U.S. can really nail you and they don't have any of the qualms about it that the brown ones do.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Yep,
Crickets are vile. And yes, they do bite. I've been nailed before. Although nowhere near the amount of pain from a good sized python or boa, it still smarts...

Peace,
Gillian

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In australia, there used to be killer meat eating kangaroos a couple million years ago. Human's ancestral primates used to be tree dwellers and were almost at the bottom of the food chain. Who knows. May be one day people will keep crickets just like we keep tarantulas now and feed those more evolved crickets tarantulas. Istead of saying, "can I have a dozen crickets please?" it would be, "can I have a dozen tarantulas please? preferably T. blondi and Usambaras if you have them." Then the clerk would say, "that would be a dollar 15 cents for a dozen full grown T. blondies."

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
damned crickets

I think that crickets are the biggest turnoff from Tarantula keeping. I hated the little bastards (might need to edit that?) before Peso, and I hate them even more now. And this before I knew they bite! If I ever get struck, I'll have to invent a particularly cruel death for the crick.
Stupid crickets,
Paul

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: damned crickets

Originally posted by Rookie
I think that crickets are the biggest turnoff from Tarantula keeping. I hated the little bastards (might need to edit that?) before Peso, and I hate them even more now. And this before I knew they bite! If I ever get struck, I'll have to invent a particularly cruel death for the crick.
Stupid crickets,
Paul
I say you can't judge an entire species by the actions of a few. Any species that produced a Jiminy can't be all bad.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are crickets that eat ancient spiders though, I believe. At least, that's what this tiny spiderbook( I can't stand tearing all compoundwords apart anymore. Fix your language) tells me...that they for example just barge right into trapdoorspiders' burrows and eat