crested gecko

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello all, I picked up a juv male "fire red" morph of Rhacodactylus Ciliatus (did I spell that right?!) at the frog day show in San Jose on Saturday. I also picked up an unsexed hatchling that looks very similiar in coloration to the juv. I was shocked at the prices on some of the juvs and hatchlings! one vendor was asking 250.00 for some of the nicer colored male juvs! I will try to get more pics of this guy's back coloration, but he is hard to take pics of, keeps wanting to run up to the top of my head and then jumping off from there! very personable lizards! there is a reptile show coming up in June in San Mateo and I will try and get a few more hatchlings to try and get a female or two.
Ed

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ed,
That sucker is cool.
Is it hardy and easy to care for?

Ern

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
Ed,
That sucker is cool.
Is it hardy and easy to care for?

Ern
they eat insects and fruit (some people use baby food) they do well at normal room temps, don't need UV lighting. there are a ton of care sheets on the net, lots of different colors of them are available. supposedly easy to breed. juv males and unsexed hatchlings are easy to find, juv and adult females are very difficult to find and very expensive. the ones I have seen and handled are very docile. it is fascinating to watch them walk, they will curl their toes before lifting their feet (you can see the back left toes curling in the pic).
there is another thread in the watering hole on crested geckos with more pics.
Ed

Last edited:

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow Ed not sure how I missed this thread! It's cool to see others into these cool and semi bizarre animals. What kind of fruit do you feed yours? I have always just used baby food and it would be nice to give fruit a try for some variety.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by jwb121377
Wow Ed not sure how I missed this thread! It's cool to see others into these cool and semi bizarre animals. What kind of fruit do you feed yours? I have always just used baby food and it would be nice to give fruit a try for some variety.
Jeremy, I have only tried smashed up banana and strawberries, neither of them seemed interested in it at all. from what I have read they seem more interested in peaches or peach baby food. I bought a bottle of crested gecko diet made by T-Rex. Sandfire Dragon ranch raises their crested geckos exclusivly on this stuff. so far I have only fed mine crickets which they readily take. I have tried silkworms for the larger gecko but he has not eaten one yet. very interesting and colorful geckos and very easy to keep. I may get a few more juveniles to see if I can get a female or two and breed them in a large naturalistic terrarium type setup.
how many do you keep? any pictures available of them?
Ed

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well at the time I am only keeping one adult male. I am keeping him in a 20 tall with glued cork bark and some fake vines. Here is a couple of pictures of my crested. I think I may have posted a few of these before...

Sorry that this one is a tad blurry;