Creativity Wanted

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i want to make my tarantulas' homes more aesthetically pleasing. some of you have posted pictures of creative setups on here before. any new ideas lately? i know holley has done some pretty cool stuff and skinheaddave has some wicked ideas for setups. i need inspiration, with minimal cost involved (college kid here). even if you have ideas you've never tried out, those are welcome too. i have some tarantulas that are going to be quite colorful when they mature and i was trying to think of some cool color schemes that would compliment them. i dont know, just let the creativity flow!

kellygirl

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would stick to earth tones. That is natural and I think in the long run, you would find it more aesthetically pleasing. I don't think that you can go wrong with peat/vermiculite and corkbark. You might get some large smooth pebbles just for looks. Of course, imo, glass looks way better than plastic. You can buy glass aquariums in as little as 2.5 gallons to a kajillion gallons. I havent done this yet, but I'm going to start getting a plexiglass lid cut to size for my aquariums and then just melt or drill air holes in it and epoxy a a smaller piece of plexiglass on top to be used as a handle.

Jon

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
However..if you could somehow get blue substrate, you could put in a few blue plastic things for T to hide in/under/climb on, and try to find blue plastic plants. Now that would be neat :D

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Vys
However..if you could somehow get blue substrate, you could put in a few blue plastic things for T to hide in/under/climb on, and try to find blue plastic plants. Now that would be neat :D

perfect for a green bottle blue

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
You might get some large smooth pebbles just for looks.

i like that! and those should be pretty easy to get ahold of.

Jon [/B][/Q
Originally posted by Vys
However..if you could somehow get blue substrate, you could put in a few blue plastic things for T to hide in/under/climb on, and try to find blue plastic plants.

what a cool idea! :) i dont know if i could find colored substrate but i'm sure i can find various colored plants.

what about those colored pieces of smooth glass that you can get for fish tanks? obviously not for substrate but is there any reason why that would be inappropriate?

kellygirl

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here is an idea. Just let them roam free around your room. Then, you can take your friends into your room to show off the T's and say, "on the left you will see my cobalt munching on my dog, and on the right you will see my usambara ready to jump at you. Duck!"

T. blondi

Arachnopeon
I don't know if you have a scorpion, but we did and I thought I'd share what we did to it's cage. We printed a desert landscape scene (from the internet) and laminated it so it looked plastic. Then taped it to the outside back of the critter keeper. After that we went to hobby lobby and bought some small plastic cactuses; and hot glued them to the bottom of the cage. Then filled it with sand. The scorpion lived a long time so I suppose there was nothing wrong w/ the setup. Although sand makes a terrible substrate (especially for T's) it clings to their leg hairs and doesn't hold moisture well, not 2 mention how it clumps together when wet. But it looked all together great.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ooooh, i like the background idea! very cool! i may have to try that desert idea with my uromastyx. :)

kellygirl

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
Here is an idea. Just let them roam free around your room. Then, you can take your friends into your room to show off the T's and say, "on the left you will see my cobalt munching on my dog, and on the right you will see my usambara ready to jump at you. Duck!"
happy im not the only one

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I put a colorful castle in my Usambaras cage :D it had a candle in it.. but the candle was used up.. I decided to name her princess because of it.. She loves it! and I put a coconut over the opening so it is a great burrow for her.It is so cute. Although your T is arboreal.. Maybe get her a large fish tank castle.. Look at the fish decor isle at the pet store... they have amazing things. Things on that isle tend to be cheap.

Last edited:

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What is always nice is to put different kinds of plants in it. Some of them you can divide into two or three different plants. I'm doing at the moment with some plants of hedera (ivy), scinapsus (?), turtleplant (Callisia spec.) and of course some moss. Looks great...
It makes the cage look more like nature but fact is that you got more wokr to do with these.

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ROFL. It'd sure help any possible roach infestations.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
ooooh, i like the background idea! very cool! i may have to try that desert idea with my uromastyx. :)

kellygirl
Kellygirl, many pet/fish stores sell ready made backgrounds (including desert scenes) by the foot.
Ed

T. blondi

Arachnopeon
originally posted by atavuss
Kellygirl, many pet/fish stores sell ready made backgrounds (including desert scenes) by the foot.
Ed
Funny I live in the city and we have damn near all the major petstores. Petland, Petco, Petsmart and I've yet to find a desert background. So far all I've found is underwater crap. Which I doubt would look very good with a T's cage. I did find a cardboard desert scene once, but it wouldn't fit on a critter keeper.