crazy theory(concerning T.blondi chiefely)

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's not that I don't respect your existance, I just hate it when people take the things I say and twist them. I do tend to over-react sometimes. Sometimes it's justified.

On the plus side, I think we both made this thread a hell of a lot more interesting for anyone reading it :)

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
all that need be done is measure oxygen levels in blondi habitats to see if its any differnt to that that people have in their own captive spider environments.

Bob bustard in the UK did some selevtive breeding for size with blondi. tHe largest one I saw was one of his and he claimed it as about 11 inches, which it could well have been.

wild caught blondis could be bigger on average than captive but thats possibly because as was said before they are capturing the largest oldest spiders. Age makes a difference, if your 4 year old blondi dies in its skin it will be no where near its potential size. Blondis carapace and leg thicknes increases more than legspan so a 9 inch blondi has way less mass than one with a leg span of 10 inches and so on. A blondi at 12" if there ever has been one would be monstrous, that thing would be pushing a 50mm carapace length and im not sure that they can get that big??????

remeber wild blondis will also have parasite loads that once removed through captive breeding could well have the opposite affect and allow them to get bigger in captivity, esp with an optimal feeding regime (whatever that may be??)

Last edited:

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Being at sea level may mean there is a higher oxygen concentration (probably because of Boyle's law...chemistry isn't my subject), however giant inverts are found places higher than sea level. Again...being at sea level is completely irrelevant.
It's got more to do with the density and specific gravity of different gasses but you're on the right track.

Air has a specific gravity of 1 (for reference).
Oxygen has a specific gravity of 1.113, and nitrogen has one of 0.9737.
So oxygen will sink vs nitrogen.

Also density gives a similar comparison.
O2 has a density of 1.429 kg/m3, vs Nitrogen which is at about 1.2506 kg/m3. Again, that suggests that oxygen will sink.

So oxygen will tend to hover nearer the bottom of the mixture, while nitrogen will tend to sit on top. Of course, there's a lot of wind and movement and stuff mixing them, but as an approximation, that's how it goes.

I didn't even need thermodynamics... what is the world coming to!

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, either way oxygen isn't the only limiting factor for the size of invertebrates.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here, or in the watering hole? Or a PM? (speaking of which... check yours).

Already did.

I understand a little bit about thermodynamics, but I'm still a bit iffy.

Go through PMs...or in TWH. Either way, I don't care. :)