CRAZY LITTLE BURROWER!!!

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
My 3i Maybe 4i Parabuthus Transvaalicus is RELENTLESS with its burrows. Before its last molt it burrowed deep in its old enclosure and I was afraid it was too small and it was going to cave in. So I re housed it in a new enclosure with a shallow substrate I used intending for it "NOT TO BURROW" , just enough for it to make its own decent hide. For weeks it hung out under it's cork...until days ago... He started to dig again and this is what he has so far.... keep in mind the substrate is only an inch and a half deep lol how does he do it !?. I've counted 5 entrances. Some connecting, some are dead ends. With the substrate being so shallow and him running accross the bottum of the enclosure I wonder if he will eventually get them all to connect..

Anybody else have a good burrower?

Attachments

RTTB

Arachnoprince
All my Diplocentrus species-whitei lindo spitzeri are manic diggers. My A pococki live for digging as well.

Newports

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my old mauri had less substrate but he/she would build a whole pathway under the sand mixture and granite rocks I set up. I had bark in almost every corner. she would go under either one of those and come out some other bark or from where the granite was again. Andros and paras are just amazing at burrowing. my mauris love to burrow, also seen this in australis a lot. it needs proper substrate though.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
my old mauri had less substrate but he/she would build a whole pathway under the sand mixture and granite rocks I set up. I had bark in almost every corner. she would go under either one of those and come out some other bark or from where the granite was again. Andros and paras are just amazing at burrowing. my mauris love to burrow, also seen this in australis a lot. it needs proper substrate though.
That's awesome. I just got 2 Australis hectors 4i I'll try a burrowing sub out

Newports

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had good luck with the excavator clay they sell made by zoo med? That and 1/3 of sand mixture, throw in some coco fiber(very little) if you want.

It will take several days for it too full dry out unless you keep it under a heat source or over one I guess. The whole mix of substrate hold water very well. But man they love it for burrowing. It's best sometimes to let them make their own burrows if you have the substrate setup correctly and not just sand.

congrats on getting hectors btw. Always wanted one but never available even when fat tails were more common, especially australis'. Idk if I can pay 200+ on one though

Last edited:

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Yea I have a similar mixture I use for my burrowers. Sand clay. Cocofiber mix. I just get uncomfortable when my younger ones start to go crazy like my P trans. He started to go inwards away from the edges so I decided to re house.

Attachments