Crazy Idea for MrsHaas P. subfusca

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm sure most everybody has heard about the recent health issues @MrsHaas p. subfusca is having after overheating while being shipped. If not, here's a link to the thread.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/help-me-save-my-p-subfusca-and-e-murinus.285848/

I started thinking about it again looking for any ideas we hadn't tried. Somehow my brain jumped to heat stroke in humans lowering electrolytes. Down the rabbit hole we go.

Could a tarantula be low on electrolytes? I know this sounds nuts but in TKG3 there is a reference in the section on the digestion that makes me think it might be possible. On pg. 51 it suggests that the function of coxal glands is to secrete salt that is injected into prey to help maintain fluidity of their food and might help maintain the salt levels of the tarantula. It refers to a paper in 1991 by Butt and Taylor. I googled the paper and was lead to this link.
https://www.researchgate.net/public...rrhothele_Antipodiana_Mygalomorpha_Dipluridae

So maybe a tarantulas electrolytes could be low with severe dehydration. If that's possible then could the electrolytes be replaced the same way as in a human with something like Pedialyte? I know that it sounds insane but what would it hurt at this point to try administering something like that? Maybe @Leonardo the Mage's mom (http://arachnoboards.com/threads/successful-veterinary-care-of-a-tarantula.286079/) would have a suggestion on the most effect way to administer electrolytes to tarantulas?

As an interesting side note, while I was looking at the physiology section I was reminded that the circulatory is pumping from the top of the spider down (page 46). Would a spider's blood pressure be higher laying on it's back, further stressing it's other systems and making it weaker?

Does anyone know a lot about tarantula physiology? Could it be possible to help her?

Edit @cold blood @Poec54 @Blue Jaye @AphonopelmaTX @louise f

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pedialyte has been suggested so maybe I'll pick some up today at the store. I thought the sugar and extra ingredients might be detrimental, but at this point, It prob can't hurt more than doing nothing at all.

@Sana thank you for starting this thread - hopefully it inspires others to suggest other out-of-the-box ideas!!

I love u girlfriend. Thx for always being there and helping out - with everything, not just Ts.

U know I'll keep you (and AB) updated on my thread, which can be accessed thru the first link in sana's above response. ...xoxo

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I believe you can get a pedialyte that has no sugar in it.....

Sana

Arachnoprince
Pedialyte has been suggested so maybe I'll pick some up today at the store. I thought the sugar and extra ingredients might be detrimental, but at this point, It prob can't hurt more than doing nothing at all.

@Sana thank you for starting this thread - hopefully it inspires others to suggest other out-of-the-box ideas!!

I love u girlfriend. Thx for always being there and helping out - with everything, not just Ts.

U know I'll keep you (and AB) updated on my thread, which can be accessed thru the first link in sana's above response. ...xoxo
I'm hoping that maybe @Leonardo the Mage's mom will know something that can be used to boost electrolytes that doesn't have a high sugar content. Pedialyte was just the closest thing that I could come up with that is used commonly for the purpose. I've never administered anything to boost electrolytes in a pet outside of IV saline and I'm definitely not a vet or an entomologist. I'm a little surprised that my brain managed to put all those pieces together when I was researching without exploding. If someone around here is better with chemistry and the like they might be able to suggest something more in line with the makeup of the actual fluid that's secreted. The composition of that fluid is Na+ 125, K+ 36mmoir1 according to the Butt and Taylor research I was reading but I only minimally understand that information and google fails me in my attempt to further understand and possibly find the closest thing to use.

Since she hasn't made any significant progress since you got her I can't see the harm in trying something unheard of. I keep trying every day to come up with something that will help. Your little one is a fighter to have held on this long and you have done absolutely everything that you can for her.

I'm really hoping that someone with a better understanding of tarantula physiology will see this and be able to offer some information to help.

I love you girl and I've got your back all the way. I'm going to keep working on trying to figure out if there's a better option then Pedialyte and I'll let you know. Shoot me a text before you give her the Pedialyte if you haven't heard anything, k? xoxo

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
This thread and the other one about @MrsHaas' Ts is what I love about AB: smart, creative, caring people supporting one another in this hobby. So glad I found all of you. And still pulling for you and your Ts @MrsHaas!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not sure I just put a few drops in her mouth and put her back into the dark quiet closet - I guess I'll know tomorrow morn when I check... But he mouth didn't open like usual to accept hydration

Sana

Arachnoprince
I can't believe that not one person on the forum has said this was a really bad idea. I expected to be beaten about the head with links to research for how insane this plan has been.