Crazy how things can change in the T market !

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was just browsing through a recent import from my favourite dealer and to my surprise, they managed to get some G. porteri slings. The thing is that these suckers now are much more expensive for 1/2" ! What was once one of the most commonly available species has joined the ranks of other highly sought after species like pulchra and iheringi in price range. I hope this will get people to breed these to bring the price down. That is insane. Makes me appreciate my WC juvie I bought at my LPS for around 40$ 7 years ago even more.

Thoughts on this development, people ?

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I don't live in Canada, but G. porteri slings for a high price is ridiculous to me. I understand the WC imports of rose hairs basically being non-existent now, but other than that, I don't think it makes it more reasonable. Yes, I understand they grow quite slow and it takes ages to reach maturity to breed, but I'm not a fan of taking one or two aspects of something and make it as a defense for keeping a price high or priceless. Here in the US you can still find them G. porteri's at $30-$45 ($40 CA-$60 CA) average online range. They're cheaper locally for me as I saw some G. porteri slings for $20 (about $26 CA) at a show back. Here in the US, while WC imports are no more, it doesn't really change the fact that there were already so many in the hobby already in the US, so I think we'll be fine as the only challenge for most people now is the ID of rose hair species and finding people who have them.

Last edited:

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
Yup. Avoid the big name companies, the T market is a fishy one with prices and whatnot. You need to find a good private seller for yourself to get fair prices

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup. Avoid the big name companies, the T market is a fishy one with prices and whatnot. You need to find a good private seller for yourself to get fair prices
Unfortunately, I strongly doubt there's a private breeder in my area, Ts just aren't popular out here. There may be a handful that have a porteri, I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy in town with multiple Ts. It would be nice, though.