Crazy horse

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow.. I just thought I'd share the insanity that is my Harold. Hes an (almost) 4 yr old arabian/quater horse/appaloosa/morgan/everything else mix, and we've had him since heis mom was 4 or 5 months pregnant with him. He does the oddest things, constantly, and reached a new level of this today.
I went to clean his stall, to find he hadnt eaten his breakfast...very odd for the little guy... upon entering the stall, he tries to eat it... and I find hes scared of his dish. This is an immovable dish screwed to the wall of his stall, and he acts like it beat him up... inches forward, real slow..and nibbles really fast at a piece of grain, and flies backwards... I ended up having to hand feed him most of it, and hes still scared of the thing, and I havent a clue why! It's absolutely crazy! Im glad the tarantula atleast isnt scared of her food..lol

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ive seen my horses do this sort of thing many times. Its usually because they did something stupid, and hit their head on the bucket. Then they act like the bucket is out to get them. They usually get over it fairly soon though. Especially since thats where the food is. If he continues to do it, and it causes problems, try rubbing the edge of the dish with something really sweet tasting. He needs to identify the food dish as a good thing.

Also, bored horses will do some really wierd things to entertain themselves. We have 4 retired thoroughbreds and they are always into one mess or another. Its all they have to do since they arent worked anymore.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha, that's very true! Harold is just good at hurting himself, that's probably what he did, Im gonna stop giving him his beetpulp till hes eating nicely..it makes a nasty mess of his grain if he doesn't eat it right away, and he gets plenty of hay...
He's a synonym for pain too. Couple years ago he riopped open his shoulder and needed a bunch of stitches, last summer he dumped me twice, and trampled me another..lol..hes my crazy boy!

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
...I thought this post was going to be about Neil Young!

Binky/Carol

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My mare a Saddlebred/Arab cross, does a stallion lip maneuver when she gets nervous. I turned her out for a few minutes into the bigger pasture, and she didn't want to go and run as she usually does.. she did something.. too far for me to see exactly what.. but then she threw her head up and up went her lip..
She made herself nervous.. LOL
Silly mare, she is 4 1/2. I have had her since she was 2 1/2. Broke her myself and now she is bred to an arabian, ex-stallion.
My other horse is a bay roan qh filly, 2 1/2 yrs old. She was given to me.. she is blind in one eye and the other is clouded a bit.. she can see out of it..
She is a hoot.
We should post pics..
I board mine at a place that breeds pinto arabians.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aww, haha Harold got over his fear of the food dish, and munched happily tonight. Definitely, show me your babies! I've got a miniature too, and in all we have 12 horses.. had more last september, but lost a few (Car accident, colic and old age) But yes, here's Harold, my little boy:
The day he was born:

And more recent:

Binky/Carol

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here is a link to where I have my horse pics..
I own Indi, Miya and may own Shiloh if she throws a pinto arabian filly come spring..
There is a pic of Indi and Shatar, the now gelding she was bred too..
She is a very silly horse.. we introduced Spartacus, an ex stud into the broodmare paddock. And she has decided he is her new boyfriend.
She "fights" over the fence with the yearlings/2 yr olds.. and gets after Sparty and runs him up into the upper corner so he can't spend time over the fence with the younger horses..
Mine mine mine!!!
http://groups.msn.com/WisconsinHorses/blackbranttrainingstables.msnw

Did you roach your Appies mane?? It looks cool. what a lovely boy!!!

Carol

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awesome looking horses! so cute!

And yep, we have a corral with wooden boards, and he rubbed huge chunks off, so I regularly had to shop it all off to even it out. We have a ribbon of electric, and PVC pipe for the run on their stalls, so it doesnt happen anymore, and its like 3 inches long, all of it! *gasp* its amazing :)