crazy handling!!

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice pics! That sounded like an interesting meeting..

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
wow now see how do you go about doing that,just take the chance?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
ok, here's one of my own..holding a juvie king baboon

Last edited:

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OMG... Brown recluse. Eek! I would not handle that..lol

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I spent a few weeks in kentucky with my aunt and came home with a truckload of fiddlebacks.....

Yes. I was lucky.
I was also a dumb kid that saw PET in everything that moved.

Should have seen the critters I had spending a summer on Fort George island florida with my grandmother.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Re: ><

Originally posted by Vayu Son
Killer cheeto?

-V
the very same...why don't you try handling him/her?!
This spider is actually quite good natured for a KB ;)
On second thought...maybe not!

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She is so beautiful... I love her coloring :)

Originally posted by Immortal_sin
ok, here's one of my own..holding a juvie king baboon

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

I will handle it tonight and then I will post the bite report.

-V

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Raveness

Actually to cause a recluse to bite you pretty much have to hurt them such as pushing down on them while they're on you. Same way with widows. Both species are really very shy.

Phil

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Raveness

I myself know I will probably screw up and get bitten.lol.

Originally posted by Phillip
Actually to cause a recluse to bite you pretty much have to hurt them such as pushing down on them while they're on you. Same way with widows. Both species are really very shy.

Phil

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I beg to differ

Black Widow females WILL bite intruders (fingers, sticks, etc) into their web retreats, especially when they're incubating an eggsac or two. I hate to stand in total opposition to Spider Bob or any other members of the ATS on this, but I have evidence to the contrary.

A few months back, I posted pics to the ATS group of a large female Latrodectus trying her damnedest to envenomate a pair of forceps that I'd VERY GENTLY introduced into her webbing. I never prodded or goaded her. She did have an eggsac. This was during a friendly but avid debate I was having with SB and Darrin on the group about that very subject.

Finally, I think SB claimed I probably tormented the Widow to get it to bite (I did not). You can see the spider clung (still biting) to the forceps even after they had exited her web. She actually PURSUED them. This went on for about five minutes before she finally returned to tending her sac.

I have no such hard evidence for Loxosceles reclusa as they don't occur in my neck of the woods (Northern CA), but to say they can only envenomate while being crushed to death against thin skin is very possibly at least a bit of an exaggeration (or minimization, depending on your view).

bill

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Re: ><

Originally posted by Vayu Son
I will handle it tonight and then I will post the bite report.

-V
well, you actually may be serious, since I didn't see any smilies...
hopefully not LOL
The thing about this particular KB is that once it's out of it's burrow and container, it becomes much calmer. I have a feeling that could be true for many of the more defensive species, but I've yet to test it out on all of them...I may be a bit nuts, but not completely looney yet!
Anyone else want to corroborate this?
And Bill, I am under the impression that widows WILL defend, and CAN bite. I had a friend that worked construction, he reached into a wood pile and got bit on the tip of his finger. They opened the pile, and found the widow. He was one of the unlucky few that actually had necrotic arachnidism, and ended up having skin transplanted.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
let me clarify my statement...

Yes widows will bite if the web is disturbed but they do not bite when they are walking around on you. The reason that I failed to mention the web thing would be that the thread was about handling not about reaching under a log and touching ones web. In other words yes Bill you are correct but once they are on the run they do not go defensive and will in fact play dead rather than try to attack you.

Phil

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Mission succesful ;). It was a bit of a rush at first and I was fully cognizant of the fact that a bite was possible. I coaxed it out of its burrow(ok, not exactly coaxed, introducing 12" forceps to a 12" burrow sorta made it collapse, and the crawshayi came out with dirt on its rump stridulating like anything). Eventually I got it on me, feeling secure that T's do not see the ground as a threat.

well, heres something I didn't think of:

Due to the fact that Homo sapien is indeed pentadactyl and the thumb is opposable, the thumb may at times be a few centimeters or an inch away from the hand. I had the particularly amusing - as I watched with a strange objectivism - experience to have a 3" KB on my palm, raised in full threat at my thumb ;)

heh.

Luckily I was not bitten. And it is true that this particular representative of Citharischius was calmer outside of the burrow... Remarkably so.

Pictures pending. Thanks Holl, ;)

-V

Last edited:

Vayu Son

Old Timer
update

Hmm. On further inspection for some reason it is now romping around its jar in threat, and venom is leaking out its fangs. ;)...maybe shes just got slow reflexes?

-V

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I knew you could do it :)
Can't wait to see pics! I think this particular specimen is more bark then bite if handled correctly
Actually, now that I think of it, the pic I just posted above was of me holding Zindzhi...not Killer Cheeto hhahhhahhah!!!
But I have handled Killer Cheeto one time before...oops!!!
Well, that's what happens when one is working 7 days a week, and has not had a day off in 2.5 months!
Congrats :D
Holley