Crazy Grumpy Sling Unpacking

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I ordered 10 slings of which were mostly new worlds. The over night shipping was delayed one day which is not a huge deal...but whatever happened I guess the slings were not happy. They were especially grumpy. The G.Pulchra grabbed my brush and looked like it was going to climb it. The P.pulcher was so grumpy it gave me this threat pose! I never actually had a threat pose when unboxing slings before. It just goes to show that you always need to keep your wits about you. I thought this was going to be an easier one since it was mostly new worlds. Even though this was my most difficult unboxing, it was also quite rewarding.

1590605395602.png

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
TEN slings??? Holy molley... do your loved ones ever talk of intervention?? LoL, that's awesome, though. I'll bet that little guy would hate to know that people think his scary pose is utterly adorable, LoL...

... I'm new to the hobby (or impassioned care taking), but I used to keep venomous snakes, so agree wholeheartedly with the "always need to keep your wits about you" bit. There was a saying that I absolutely detested; "there are two types of venomous snake keepers...those that have been bit, & those that will." No bite is ever acceptable, & MY take was BOTH categories failed to maintain their guard.

Good luck with your new spiders, friend...

Royalty

Arachnoknight
TEN slings??? Holy molley... do your loved ones ever talk of intervention?? LoL, that's awesome, though. I'll bet that little guy would hate to know that people think his scary pose is utterly adorable, LoL...

... I'm new to the hobby (or impassioned care taking), but I used to keep venomous snakes, so agree wholeheartedly with the "always need to keep your wits about you" bit. There was a saying that I absolutely detested; "there are two types of venomous snake keepers...those that have been bit, & those that will." No bite is ever acceptable, & MY take was BOTH categories failed to maintain their guard.

Good luck with your new spiders, friend...
I decided to do a bulk order. I had the enclosures prepared ahead of time as well. Made some back up ones too wish different sizes. Most were under an inch in dls which can look super different depending on the spider.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Congrats on the order! What all did you get?
so far I’ve yet to have a bad unboxing but I know it’s always a possibility!

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Shipping is usually the same, so I say why not order a bunch?! I usually order multiples to increase the chance of getting a girl.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
I decided to do a bulk order. I had the enclosures prepared ahead of time as well. Made some back up ones too wish different sizes. Most were under an inch in dls which can look super different depending on the spider.
Shipping is usually the same, so I say why not order a bunch?! I usually order multiples to increase the chance of getting a girl.
How many tarantulas do you guys have?

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
That's not actually even a big order.
Yeah, ya know...the more time I spend learning, the more can see having. Still though, ordering 10 of ANYTHING not for resale or specific projects seems wild to me; I don't even get more than 2-3 plants at a time, unless I'm at a show (so I guess it's not TOTALLY outside my realm of contemplation, LoL)! I'd love to know how many some of the folks here have, though. I've been watching some of "Tom's Big Spiders" videos, & he has STACKS of cups in the background, presumably all inhabited... that's akin to the stamp & coin collections of my childhood!

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, ya know...the more time I spend learning, the more can see having. Still though, ordering 10 of ANYTHING not for resale or specific projects seems wild to me; I don't even get more than 2-3 plants at a time, unless I'm at a show (so I guess it's not TOTALLY outside my realm of contemplation, LoL)! I'd love to know how many some of the folks here have, though. I've been watching some of "Tom's Big Spiders" videos, & he has STACKS of cups in the background, presumably all inhabited... that's akin to the stamp & coin collections of my childhood!
If you want a large collection (i'm not saying you, but anyone), there is no better, faster and cheaper way to do it than by ordering multiples of every species, as many as you can justify. This allows your collection to build and basically pay for its self as it increases in size......buying one sling of a species at a time is by far the most time consuming and expensive way to build a collection.

'

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Congrats on the order! What all did you get?
so far I’ve yet to have a bad unboxing but I know it’s always a possibility!
LP Freebie (oml I have 4 now xD)

Tliltocatl albopilosum (Hobby form) - THIS ONE WHIPPED AROUND when I poked it with the brush. Did not threat pose or threaten to bite but this is usually one of the calmer species.
Chilobrachys fimbriatus
Dolichothele diamentinensis - This one was one of the nicer ones that went in and was very agreeable.
Grammostola pulchra
Grammostola pulchripes
Ornithoctoninae sp. Hatihati
Psalmopoeus cambridgei
Psalmopoeus pulcher (the threat posing one)
Pseudoclamoris gigas - Little bit bolty
Tliltocatl albopilosum "Nicaragua form"

I guess I have 24 now. I think I am going to take a break from ordering for now even though there are a few on my list of ones that I want to get. My last order I had some pokies and they were pretty chill. I also have unboxed "Feather Leg" and "H.Mac" and other ones people seem to consider more advanced but they were easy to unpack from the vials and I also rehoused the H.Mac without issue. My H.Pulchripes has given me a threat pose when I was poking around the water dish with the tongs because I accidentally dropped the mealworm into it. He/She webbed it up so it is a part of their bedroom.