Crazy article about removing Tarantuala fangs from Daily Mail

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The first question I get when I get asked questions at the Pet Store I work at that sells tarantulas is "are those Poisonous?"

I always answer with "Nope There venomous"
"Can they be de-fanged"~Them
"De-fanging a tarantulas is equal to removing the bottom jaw of a person"~me
"but what if they bite"
"...." ~me

Usually I either end it with "stuff happens" Or it Makes life Exciting.

B

babylon5girl

I hate it when people ask me if tarantulas can be defanged:evil:

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Then educate them. There is something that each of us is ignorant of and if you take the time you might create another enthusiast. I had a co-worker who thought Ts were close to the grossest things on the planet when he first discovered I kept them. We talked about why I had them, husbandry, their place in their ecosystems etc. After about a month I gave him a G. rosea sling and now he's buying his 3rd.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ignorant people make me sad. Most of us here have a lot of knowledge, and like jen650s said, then go out and do something about it. I got tired of seeing the Tarantulas at Petland sitting around on bark chips. So I got a job there, and one of the first things I do is change it to a peat potting mix.

I got a Mm G. rosea from there and he can't climb glass... what's more sad is, he can't climb coarse plastic. That's how badly his toes are worn out from the bark. D=<

You can whine about it, or go and make a difference. Instead of looking at people like they're an idiot (which they may possibly be), I explain to them as much as I can to the best of my knowledge, or tell them where to get good, reliable information.

I suggest you do the same;

:cool:

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
people are stupid if they don't think those will just regenerate themselves. also, it's just plain inhumane.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
people are stupid if they don't think those will just regenerate themselves. also, it's just plain inhumane.
It's smarter to assume that limbs don't regenerate, considering the majority of macroscopic animals don't regenerate limbs.

Or should I test it out with my Makitta on you? ;P

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think it's really cool that the couple saved the spider, rather than squishing it with a baseball bat and flushing it down the toilet. I forgive them their error.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's smarter to assume that limbs don't regenerate, considering the majority of macroscopic animals don't regenerate limbs.

Or should I test it out with my Makitta on you? ;P
i'm not following...explain further.

Nightshade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wonder if that couple will start having pest problems now that the tarantula has been captured. Unless it very recently escaped it doesn't look like it went hungry while it free ranged through their house.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
LOL, being an employee of a newspaper I can tell you that reporters ALWAYS get something wrong in EVERY article. It's a given.

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I did try to nicely post to that article about tarantula fangs THREE times but they edit their replies, and decided not to post any of mine. They did eventually let through one person's post about removing tarantula fangs means they'd die, so at least a voice of reason has spoken on that article!

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I did try to nicely post to that article about tarantula fangs THREE times but they edit their replies, and decided not to post any of mine. They did eventually let through one person's post about removing tarantula fangs means they'd die, so at least a voice of reason has spoken on that article!
Clearly, they declined to put up my post also!

napalm

Arachnopeon
the couple actually were quite nice picking it up and taking it to the vet, and they had no reason to know about tarantula's habits, etc.
The only idiot I can think of is the man or woman that wrote the article, talking like he knew it all about a subject he has clearly no idea about, spreading misinformation and making other people think that tarantulas should be devenomized.
but people in the media arent usually very bright are they....

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm trying to post my two cents about this, but i've gone through at least 25 of these submission codes already :eek:

"while "venomous" is an accurate term, it is rather misleading to be stating it so frequently. most tarantulas are in no way capable of causing significant damage to humans, even when they do use their venom. also, defanging a tarantula is akin to removing a dog's lower jaw."

it says they caught it in a sandwhich box, but it's clearly in a kritter keeper.

Last edited: