Crap

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Generally, I don't use a smily when I post...but this occasion clearly warrants the use of one.

Last year at arachnocon, the only specimen I really wanted to come back with was a young scolopendra heros castaniceps pedeling.

I was one of only two that found one (What can attest to this ;) ) and I was overjoyed when I caught it (well, with some help).

Well, a day or so ago I discovered it had mites so I put it into a container with dry substrate to 'dry them off it'.

Well, when I woke up this morning around 6 AM I discovered I had forgotten to put a waterdish in with the centi and it was on it's side and pasty looking.

So I picked it up, thinking it had dried out during the night.

Turns out it was moulting. I misted the container, hoping to raise humidity and left my house so I wouldn't bother it anymore.

I came back home half an hour ago...it didn't make it.

My first bug death (including male tarantulas) and it's pretty much all my fault....with a prized specimen no less.

So I pretty much feel like crap right now.

Last edited:

sammyp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry to hear it. But everyone makes the odd mistake. It's just a coin toss as to whether you get away with it or not. Better luck with the next one mate.

Penna

Arachnopeon
At least you didnt get drunk and put something in something else's cage and get it eaten........................................not that i've done that or anything.

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I fed the three African Giant Black millipedes late at night about two weeks ago. When I got up the next morning, I realized that I had left the lid off the cage all night. Surprisingly all three were still in the cage, even more surprising the cat left them alone.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry to hear it Cheshire, I think we'll all make these mistakes at least once.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Like everyone else said, we all go through cosmic brain-farts, Chesh. Just don't dwell on it.

I had three chinese mantid ooths in separate containers -- one hatched while I was gone for the weekend, and I didn't realize there was a piece of double-sided scotch tape on the inside of the tank (don't ask me WHAT that was doing there). The ones that weren't stuck didn't make it because my fruit fly cultures all went bad.

And the other two ooths never hatched . . .

So even the wise and learn-ed IHeartMantids (yeah, right) does dumb stuff once in a while.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i didn't secure a kritter keeper lid, and so one of my cats ate my poor sexed-female-the-day-before 2" green bottle blue tarantula while i was out of town for a day. :(

and then my fiance didn't realize he actually saw some of her legs laying under our table. he thought they were just trash, but couldn't figure out why his fingers itched afterwards. :eek: