crap! help needed asap with this one

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hiya

Arghhh! This morning when i was misting all my spiders, I got to the h.maculata. I opened the lid as normal, and I noticed food remains and that the moult was finally in a decent place to remove it.

So I proceed to remove them, when suddenly my movements dislodge the things stick+web=home thing, when it darts out, up my arm then dives to the floor.

Luckily I managed to find it, but had to put a glass over it, then use card as a lid and transport it. After about 15 mins of cautiously doing this, I managed to get it into a 'chemical sample vial' thing, where it is now.

Ihave to move it from this vial back into its home, any ideas?

I'm currently testing putting the spider into a LARGE container; within this container is the spiders old vial

I wait until it goes home, then seal the lid..

hmm wish I could take good pics as it looks good now that its not hiding or camoflauged!

Cheers!

TypeO-

Arachnopeon
I'd try putting it in the fridge for a few mins, they tend to get a little sluggish and aren't as fast. I did that with my adult female "Usambara" and it worked fine.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I say you should set the vial on the floor of the tank, open it, coax tarantula out, and remove the vial quickly. But I have no real idea just what kind of lid you've got on your enclosure. I use pet pals with the snap top lids that have the clear access doors in the middle. So it's easier to do the above procedure than say with a regular mesh tank lid and so forth.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cheers!

Oh sorry, I forgot to state that it's a spiderling, at about 13-15mm

I can't gently coax it out; the slightest pressure near it causes it to run at top speed. The fridge idea is a good one, I did it with my female lividum, though even a full 5 minutes didn't seem to effect her

Thanks! It's in the airing cupboard at the mo, (dark humid and warm) so I'm hoping it'll feel secure enough to mission out of the vail its in. I'll keep you all updated

Thanks!

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds dumb I know. But turn the sample bottle over your have it in and sit it on top of where you want it to go. Cover all the rest of the opening so it has no where to dart out then slide back to card.
Give it time to get back in, or hopefuly it will scramble out.
Slide the other blocks out of the way as you close the lid up.
Hope this makes sense and helps.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy
Sounds dumb I know. But turn the sample bottle over your have it in and sit it on top of where you want it to go. Cover all the rest of the opening so it has no where to dart out then slide back to card.
Give it time to get back in, or hopefuly it will scramble out.
Slide the other blocks out of the way as you close the lid up.
Hope this makes sense and helps.
cheers Nixy!

That was actually my first idea, though it failed twice - the first time the spider squeezed out of the tiny gap between card and the vial, then up my arm. The second, it went in, no problems, then i removed the card in order ot fix the lid, at which point it ran for freedom under my bed. Luckily (me being a male teenager) I had some socks from yesterday (possibly last week) and it hid within that, so I caught it again then decided that I needed a new strategy

haha :)

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Could try my tape and string stratagy I use with the orange demon.
Put vial in container, close cover most of the way tape string to lid and buttom.
Pull lid string to let beast out.
Wait for beast to get clear, throw a cricket in for it to mangulate...and lift cover just enough to fish little container out while it's ripping cricket up.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks people!

The "vial into larger container which contains the original home" technique has worked already.

Pretty suprising how the spider moved straight to it in less than an hour

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ooh ok.
Should have read this before asking about it in the other thread. Duh me..
Glad it's back in it's home and congrates on the successful rangling!