crap. are these what i think they are?!

neanyoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so i look into this enclosure.. e.uatuman is burrowed down there somewhere. anyway.. i see these little things crawling around..

ARE THE MITES?! AHHH crud..

i dont know if theyre visable from the picture.. i tried to focus as much as i could. its a 10.1 megapixel.. i hope this helps?!

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yes

To me it looks like it though not for sure since you cant see them all that good. I'm no expert but id clean the tank out and put diffrent substrate in or you will be picking mites off your T!! :(

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The ones on the plastic don't look like mites, it just looks like small splatters of T poo or something, but not mites. I'm not entirely sure on the ones on the substrate though.

Pink_tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
crap or crap..

it is either tarantula poop* crosses fingers* or it could be mites ( crap!):confused: :confused: :confused:

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Doesn't look like mites to me either, more like splatters. It's a simple fix, watch to see if they move. If you see them carting around, then you know you've got mites or other small organisms. Usually with mites you can see tiny tick-like forms.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Doesn't look like mites to me either, more like splatters. It's a simple fix, watch to see if they move. If you see them carting around, then you know you've got mites or other small organisms. Usually with mites you can see tiny tick-like forms.
He did say he saw them crawling around. I am also trying to make out what it is as I've never had a mite prob.

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
no those are not mite they some sort of nat, mites look more like ticks very small ticks

neanyoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah its really hard to see in the pictures since they are very small white things. but they ARE moving. they dont jump when i touch them so i know that they arent baby crickets.

so im sure they're mites. i was just making sure. ill change the substrate. i just feel bad because my little burrower has made such a beautiful funnel of dirt that comes up the side of the corner of the enclosure.

thanks for the input everyone, i wish you could see them clearer.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, I was looking at the picture for a couple of mintues, and the things in the second picture, with the plastic, are definately not mites(like I said earlier). The first one, the one with substrate, are I truely believe mites that might be eating prey remains in the red circle I put..

whatever it is, just take your T out, dump the substrate and throughly clean the enclosure.

Pink_tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:( :( i agree with Novak, it is a shame you have to destroy her web :( :( i had to destroy my psalmopeous irminia's web poor thing it was defending itself btu now it seems a little better, not much though

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The ones on the plastic don't look like mites, it just looks like small splatters of T poo or something, but not mites. I'm not entirely sure on the ones on the substrate though.
exactly what i would say

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The stuff on the plastic is spider poop/urates. the ones on the dirt are a type of mite.. I hate that type in particular. They will bloom and overtake in a very short period of time if you keep allowing them the proper conditions (moisture and food). I've had them kill off baby tree frogs before (had a mite infected fruit fly colony and didn't realize till too late).

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
These are mites brought in on crickets. They thrive on moist or wet subby. Another way to get rid of them, except for cleaning your tank out and diggin ur T up etc... is to dry out the substrate. If you dry out the substrate then leave a water bowl or something wet, the mites will flock to it and stick to that. Then just take that out... do this a few times and they should be gone!
They don't actually hurt your T. They feed on discarded moults and bolus of food left over from the T.
Drying the subby out will kill them. I've had these a few times and drying it out has worked and killed them all. They keep coming bk off of some batches of crix though.

Another way 2 rid them without drying them out (as i believe Ephebopus like wet substrate!?) is to get some predatory insects such as woodlice/pill bugs. They will keep your tanks clean. Eating the decaying bolus' and moults etc and plus they'll eat the mites too! And T's rarely ever try to eat them either. They're a pest free way of ridding tanks of unwanted debris I get mine out from under rocks in my garden for some of my tanks. They work v well and i know many people who use them. :D Hope this helps!